Lisbon's century lady, Isabelle G. Mielke, dies
The Sussex Sun ran a feature on Isabelle G. Mielke in the Nov. 13 issue. She was 100 years old and lived her entire life in the community, even living in the house on Lisbon Road that she was born in.
Known affectionally as "Issy," she was the daughter of Anthony and Gertrude Dabel. In life, she married twice, outliving both husbands.
Her birth date is notable, as it occurred on Oct. 31, 1913, and her grandchildren called her "Grandma Good Witch."
She died two months and four days after her 100th birthday, on Jan. 4, 2014.
She is the loving mother of Art (the late Dorothy) Rademann, Sharon (the late Williard) Naab and the late Sherwin Mielke Jr. She is further survived by seven grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren, plus other relatives and friends.
She spent most of her long working life as a cook for various local restaurants, boarding houses and taverns, most particularly Brook Hotel, Bernie's Tap, Olde Tempelton Inn and Three Pines.
Visitation was Jan. 11 at the Schmidt Funeral Home in Sussex. She was buried at St. Peter and Paul Cemetery in Pewaukee.
- Pages from the Past: Feb. 4, 2015
- Former Lisbon Clerk/Administrator Elizabeth Kraus pleads not guilty
- Lawyers: Local governments should have policies on credit-card use
- Key vote expected on Main Street School
- Reel World: 'American Sniper' misses half the target
- Sussex father, son die in drowning incident
- Legislators meet with school board
- Hamilton Fine Arts Center offers a frightful family, Elvis, Tigers and 'Candy'
- Retrospect, Jan. 28, 2015: Hadfield had big impact on early Lannon
- Pages from the Past: Jan. 28, 2015