Piston and Rod show Aug. 16 in Sussex
Fun events for entire community offered
As the years pass, the Sussex Lions Club has thought of different ways to present one of its biggest events of the year.
On Saturday, Aug. 16, the Sussex Lions Piston and Rod Show returns for its eighth year.
The car show, which lasts from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., is open to cars, pickups, motorcycles and semis. There will be a wide variety for car lovers and anyone who wants to see unique vehicles dating back to the 1940s and older.
A judging competition will take place between the 17 different classes of vehicles.
Entry fee is $10 in advance or $12 day of the show.
Registration begins at 8 a.m. and concludes at noon. Judging goes from noon to 2 p.m. Awards for the show will be announced at 3 p.m.
"We're getting a little bigger every year," co-chairman of the Piston and Rod show Rick Vodicka said. "Last year was our biggest year yet. Another thing that we've been pushing every year and we've been working on trying to build on is the firefighter extrication competition."
Teams will compete and demonstrate a vehicle extrication on multiple crash scenarios scheduled throughout the day.
"It's like a competition, but it's also a good training exercise for them," Vodicka noted.
Then there's the entertainment and food.
A pancake breakfast begins at 7 a.m. and is all you can eat for $5. Lunch starts at 11 a.m.
The Liam Ford Band will also perform.
There will be a swap meet area for $10 a spot.
All the money raised during the day will be donated back to the community.
- Fall prevention presentation at Brookdale Sussex Feb. 11
- Hamilton High School will be haunted Feb. 11-14
- Fire department volunteers honored in Lisbon
- Retrospect, Feb. 10, 2016: Observatory Hill aided building of railroads
- Reel World, Feb. 10, 2016: No crowns for 'Caesar!'
- Menomonee Falls wants to annex Lisbon land
- Car wash added to Highway Q gas station in Lisbon
- Pages from the Past: Feb. 10, 2016
- Bob Schlei was former Sussex fire chief
- Hamilton school board ratifies contract with United Lakewood Educators