Sussex man accused of strangling his girlfriend during an argument
A 33-year-old Sussex man stands accused of choking his live-in girlfriend nearly to unconsciousness during a verbal argument allegedly sparked by jealousy.
Christopher Shutterly, N64 W24206 Main Street, was charged on Thursday, July 3, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation, attempted strangulation and disorderly conduct, all domestic abuse offenses.
Shutterly faces up to a little more than nine years in prison and $16,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department received a walk-in complaint on Wednesday, July 2, from a young woman claiming to be the victim of domestic abuse.
The victim told police that she and her boyfriend, Shutterly, had gone out drinking the previous night and argued when they returned to their shared apartment about whether or not the victim had been flirting with other men at the bar.
Shutterly reportedly grabbed the victim by her neck and squeezed until she felt lightheaded.
The victim said in the complaint that Shutterly tried to strangle her again when she made an effort to leave the apartment after the alleged incident by wrapping his right hand around her throat and lifting her off the ground.
She struggled and broke free and ran out of the apartment seeking help.
A neighbor responded to her pleas and promised to drive her to a friend's house, and later drove her to the police station where she filed her complaint, despite protests from Shutterly.
The neighbor said he observed red marks on the victim's arms, shoulders and neck when he answered his door, and noticed that one of her shirt straps had been torn.
According to court records, Shutterly posted his $5,000 cash bond on Monday, July 14. Court Commissioner Robert Dehring, Jr. barred Shutterly from having contact of any kind with the victim and from possessing or consuming any alcohol.
Shutterly's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, July 18.
- Hamilton High School junior begins Eagle Scout project
- Retrospect, Sept. 2, 2015: Frantls carve niche in Sussex
- Pages from the Past: Sept. 2, 2015
- Sussex's Outdoor Movie Night returns to its roots
- Stallings feels comfortable in new home of Sussex
- Pages from the Past: Aug. 26, 2015
- Retrospect, Aug. 26, 2015: Piece of Civil War coming home
- Falls opens two new fire stations, also serving Lannon
- County beaches announce closing dates
- Gas prices in Lake Country area have spiked in past two weeks