Sussex native to ride horse in Presidential Inauguration Parade
Equine therapy group helps veterans
A Sussex native will ride her horse in the 57th U.S. Presidential Inauguration Parade in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 21.
Patty Braeger Roelofs, a 1970 Hamilton High School graduate, will ride as part of the group from the Freedom Stables in Deerfield, Wis. She is the daughter of longtime Sussex resident Carol Braeger and her late husband, Jerry.
Patty Braeger Roelofs is now an employee of the Wisconsin Agricultural Department. She stables her horse at the Freedom Stables and is part AT EASE, a therapeutic equine assisted self confidence experience group. The group is dedicated to the "At Ease" program that works with veterans and active military personnel to help them gain self confidence while working with horses.
Patty is the second oldest in the Braeger family of four girls who were raised on Maple Avenue just off Main Street. Their father was a local Lisbon farm boy and became a Sussex butcher at one time running a local meat market. He was a long time Sussex Lions Club member.
Carol Braeger has served as a Lioness for more than 40 years and heads up the local Red Cross blood drives. She still lives at her Elmwood home in retirement. She said when her daughter, Patty, was younger and learned to draw the first thing she drew was a horse. She continued her love of horses and has owned them for many years now earning her a chance to be on the national stage riding in the Inauguration Parade.
- Yule Feed Families drive faces tall order in 25th year
- Lisbon may double debt for road repairs
- Reel World: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2'
- Investigation into Sussex Lions Club coming to an end (1)
- Sussex food pantry looking for Christmas donations
- Pages from the Past, Nov. 25, 2015
- Retrsospect, Nov. 25, 2015: Play gets bumped from Community Hall
- New contract to make recycling easier in Sussex
- Sussex Lions have activities suspended because of gender discrimination allegations (4)
- Pauline Haass Library Board member Glodoski dies at 65