The heat is on for the 30th annual chili cook-off
It's the 30th Anniversary for the Chili and Chicken Soup Cook-Off in Sussex — can your chili take the heat?
Three hundred and fifty to 400 people are expected to attend the event, sponsored by the Sussex Lions Club, which will benefit families in Sussex, Lisbon, Lannon and Merton through the Sussex-Area Outreach Service food pantry.
"I know when I've gone in (to the food pantry) ... it's a lot of families. They're people who are trying to work long hours with little pay or have no job at all," committee Chairman Dolores Scharmer said.
Hot dogs and chips will also be available for purchase. Refreshments and desserts are free of charge but cash donations are appreciated in support of the food pantry.
Volunteers are still needed to help set up, contest entries are still accepted, and desserts are still needed. Volunteers can call Scharmer at 262-695-7704 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cook-off will be at the Sussex Armory W237 N5678 Maple Ave., Sussex, on Oct. 28. Doors open at 6 p.m. and folks are admitted for $7 at the door plus a nonperishable food donation. Tickets can also be purchased in advance for $6 at Sussex area Piggly Wiggly and Ace Hardware.
If you cannot attend, you can still help the food pantry. Monetary donations can be sent to Sussex Lions Club Cook-Off at PO Box 22, Sussex, WI 53089 and checks should be made payable to Sussex Outreach Services. Food donations can be dropped off from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday at N63 W23626 Silver Spring Drive.
- Women of Distinction seeking nominees
- Four men charged in connection with stolen checks in Lisbon last year
- Six could run for village trustee seats
- Carran offered Lisbon administrator post
- Pages from the Past: Dec. 24, 2014
- Haass Library to open with more money
- Pages from the Past: Dec. 17, 2014
- Retrospect, Dec. 17, 2014: Stier collection donated to SLAHS
- Sussex Main Street School has rich history
- Holiday Concert back to spread cheer