Despite little snow, Lisbon Winter Fest willl bring the fun
Officials still planning for fun in Lisbon Community Park
Town of Lisbon - For the third consecutive year, weather is interfering with town officials' plans for the annual Winter Fest celebration at Lisbon Community Park. The event will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26.
Although Public Works Director Joe Klemm indicated early this week it appeared unlikely the sledding Hill would be in operation because of lack of snow in park, Park Director John Greiten said later he has not given up.
Greiten said he has moved some snow from parking lots and other locations in the park and is in the processing of constructing a sled run on the sledding hill similar to last year. Greiten predicted the hill may be usable for sledding if there is an inch or more of snow fall on Thursday or Friday.
Sledding hill or not, Park Chairwoman Marlene Kumitsch said there will be a bonfire and ice skating rink. Broom ball, hockey and other games will be featured on the ice skating rink. Refreshments including chili and hot dogs will be served around the bonfire.
Last year, because of unseasonably warm weather with little snow, Greiten scraped snow from parking lots and other areas in the park and hauled it to the sledding hill where he and park crews created a sled run.
A last-minute snowstorm also contributed to the success of the event despite an unseasonable warm early winter with little snow.
Unseasonably warm temperatures, along with fog, marred the first year of the event.
However, attendance at the event has continued to grow, according to town officials, despite the weather challenges.
- 'Age of Ultron' a victim of Marvel's own success
- Sawall buying not-for-profits' land in Sussex
- Pauline Haass Public Library News: May 6, 2015
- Marketing on shoestring budget topic at May 20 Sussex Chamber of Commerce event
- Retrospect, May 6, 2015: Fraternal organizations disapper from landscape
- Pages from the Past: May 6, 2015
- Reel World 04/29/15: 'Ex Machina'
- Trustees Cmeyla, Petricca to resign from Sussex village board
- Sussex man charged with drunken driving, unruly behavior
- Retrospect, April 29, 2015: Plank School was a Lisbon staple