Lightning kickers in a groove early on
Rezutek leading scoring spree for unbeaten Lightning
The Lake Country Lutheran/University Lake School soccer team has jumped out to a 5-0-1 start, including a 2-0 ledger in conference play.
The wins have been largely of the lopsided variety, but perhaps the most impressive showing was a 1-1 tie against The Prairie School, ranked No. 2 in the state at the time when the teams met Friday.
Jamie Schnuck tied the game at 1-1 at the 55-minute mark with an outside shot.
"We maintained the draw though both overtimes, with several opportunities to put the game away," said coach Jeremy Hedrick. "It was a hard-fought game in some terrible conditions. I'm really proud of the way that they continued to fight even after losing two key players partway through the second half. We played the final 40 to 45 minutes without any subs, down four starters. Just an incredible effort on both sides of the ball."
The team followed that victory with a 4-0 win over league opponent Heritage Christian on Monday. Hannah Rezutek scored twice, upping her season number to nine goals. Kaylen Podjaski and Schnuck also scored, with Rezutek adding an assist.
"Not a pretty game, by any stretch, but the girls did what they needed to, denying Wayland from having any shots on goal," Hedrick said.
In an 8-0 win over St. Anthony, Rezutek scored three goals, with additional tallies from Ellen Tyler (two), Schnuck, Podjaski and Bri Steirer.
Assists belonged to Hannah Glavas, Tyler, Schnuck and Elayna Grove.
In a 6-0 win over Clinton, Rezutek again recorded the hat trick, while Steirer, Schnuck and Tyler scored as well. Schuck assisted Steirer on her goal.
Schnuck finished with two goals and an assists in a 3-0 win over league foe Dominican. Rezutek added her seventh goal of the year, and the Lightning allowed only two shots all game.
In an 8-0 win over SWCHA, goals came from Tyler, Podjaski (two), Schnuck, Grove (two), Ksusha Bandoian and Mary Kirk.
- Girls soccer: Pewaukee girls soccer blanks Greenfield
- Girls soccer: Waukesha West girls soccer gets by Arrowhead with late goal
- Track and field: Pewaukee girls win Woodland Relays
- Boys golf: Arrowhead golfers snag second
- Baseball: Arrowhead baseball survives anxious moments, moves to 12-0
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead tennis stages surprising sweep of Lasers
- Softball: Arrowhead softball back near the top
- Lake Country Lutheran roundup: Lake Country Lutheran golfers take second at invite
- Softball: Kettle Moraine girls upset Muskego yet again
- Boys tennis: Pirates tennis team splits matches at weekend quad