Arrowhead wins state football championship
The Arrowhead football team delivered a positively dominant performance in the WIAA Division 1 football title game Friday at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, topping Sun Prairie, 35-14.
Arrowhead took a 35-0 lead and compelled a running clock for all but the final 4:14 of the second half, winning its fifth gold ball and finishing the year 13-0. Sun Prairie scored a pair of late touchdowns but dropped to 12-1.
Quarterback Brady Kelliher ran for a touchdown and threw three others to Ricky Finco, Brandon Kim and Kenny Finco in the first half. The Warhawks piled up 220 passing yards in the process and came within four yards of the overall D1 title game record in the first half alone.
After a completion on the first series of the second half, AHS surpassed the previous passing mark of 224 yards, set by Marshfield in 2002. The Warhawks finished with 225 and 408 total yards. Steve Radeztsky also rushed for a score in the first half.
Arrowhead did not score fewer than 31 points in any game this year. The team now has state titles in 1993, 1994, 1996, 2007 and 2012, with five runner-up finishes, as well.
Conference foe Catholic Memorial won the Division 3 state title earlier Friday with a similarly dominant 42-7 win over Waupaca.
- Softball: Lake Country Lutheran wins doubleheader
- Baseball: Lake Country Lutheran baseball loses close call to powerful Division 2 team
- Girls soccer: Arrowhead girls soccer stays undefeated with three straight wins
- Girls soccer: Pewaukee girls soccer rolls past Cudahy
- Girls soccer: Lake Country Lutheran girls soccer on a roll after four straight wins
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 05/03/16
- Track and field: Arrowhead teams grab top-three finishes at Northstar Invite
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead netters go 1-2 at Neenah
- Girls soccer: Kettle Moraine girls soccer wins tight contest over Oconomowoc
- Track and field: Kettle Moraine girls victorious in Northstar Invite