Arrowhead wins state football championship
The Arrowhead football team delivered a positively dominant performance in the WIAA Division 1 football title game Friday at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, topping Sun Prairie, 35-14.
Arrowhead took a 35-0 lead and compelled a running clock for all but the final 4:14 of the second half, winning its fifth gold ball and finishing the year 13-0. Sun Prairie scored a pair of late touchdowns but dropped to 12-1.
Quarterback Brady Kelliher ran for a touchdown and threw three others to Ricky Finco, Brandon Kim and Kenny Finco in the first half. The Warhawks piled up 220 passing yards in the process and came within four yards of the overall D1 title game record in the first half alone.
After a completion on the first series of the second half, AHS surpassed the previous passing mark of 224 yards, set by Marshfield in 2002. The Warhawks finished with 225 and 408 total yards. Steve Radeztsky also rushed for a score in the first half.
Arrowhead did not score fewer than 31 points in any game this year. The team now has state titles in 1993, 1994, 1996, 2007 and 2012, with five runner-up finishes, as well.
Conference foe Catholic Memorial won the Division 3 state title earlier Friday with a similarly dominant 42-7 win over Waupaca.
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead netters finish fourth
- Boys golf: Pewaukee golfers win Pirate Cup
- Girls soccer: Kettle Moraine kickers cruise to 10th win
- Boys tennis: Oconomowoc boys tennis keeps momentum going
- Girls soccer: Win for Oconomowoc soccer sets up big match against Hartford
- Girls soccer: Arrowhead kickers down Germantown
- Softball: Kornowski throws perfect game for Lake Country Lutheran softball
- Girls soccer: Lake Country Lutheran fights through injuries
- Girls lacrosse: Warhawks leaves no doubt in winning crown
- Baseball: Lightning baseball racks up 35 runs in rout