Arrowhead wins state football championship
The Arrowhead football team delivered a positively dominant performance in the WIAA Division 1 football title game Friday at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, topping Sun Prairie, 35-14.
Arrowhead took a 35-0 lead and compelled a running clock for all but the final 4:14 of the second half, winning its fifth gold ball and finishing the year 13-0. Sun Prairie scored a pair of late touchdowns but dropped to 12-1.
Quarterback Brady Kelliher ran for a touchdown and threw three others to Ricky Finco, Brandon Kim and Kenny Finco in the first half. The Warhawks piled up 220 passing yards in the process and came within four yards of the overall D1 title game record in the first half alone.
After a completion on the first series of the second half, AHS surpassed the previous passing mark of 224 yards, set by Marshfield in 2002. The Warhawks finished with 225 and 408 total yards. Steve Radeztsky also rushed for a score in the first half.
Arrowhead did not score fewer than 31 points in any game this year. The team now has state titles in 1993, 1994, 1996, 2007 and 2012, with five runner-up finishes, as well.
Conference foe Catholic Memorial won the Division 3 state title earlier Friday with a similarly dominant 42-7 win over Waupaca.
- Girls basketball: Pewaukee girls roll past Brown Deer
- Boys basketball: Brown Deer finds offensive rhythm in second half
- Wrestling: Pewaukee outmuscles Mukwonago in dual meet
- Preps Alcove: Askren helping CM Punk train for the real thing
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Basketball: Holding court: basketball a way of life for Opies
- Gymnastics: Fredman off the charts on balance beam
- Wrestling: Askren brothers to wrestle in showcase at KM
- Boys hockey: KM's Freeman one of the best hockey players in the state
- Girls basketball: Fourth-quarter explosion lifts Lions to big win