After close match with West, KM fourth
Newman wins big for SJNMA
Kettle Moraine's varsity wrestling team finished fourth out of nine teams in the annual Mount Horeb-Barneveld Invite on Dec. 15.
The Lasers had three champions, including Ethan Averill at 106 pounds, Noah Martinez at 220 pounds and Austin Clement at 285 pounds. Clement pinned all four of his opponents.
Michael Hayes was second at 113 pounds for Kettle Moraine, and Alex Campbell ended up second at 160 pounds. Both wrestlers were 2-1 on the day.
Jacob Grewe was sixth at 195 pounds and Cody Peterson finished sixth at 120 pounds.
On Dec. 13 the Lasers fell short in a Classic 8 Conference match 42-26 against Waukesha West. Clement and Campbell recorded pins over their opponents.
"We had opportunities to win the dual against West," Kettle Moraine head wrestling coach Frank Cuda said. "We had some forfeits and they had some forfeits. The meet came down to a couple close matches that we lost (106 and 160) where our seniors matched up against theirs.
To win close matches against tough kids, you have to be prepared to battle for the whole match. We didn't do that."
Newman triumphs at Richland
Jordan Newman (170) won his weight division at the Richland Center Invite on Saturday to lead the St. John's Northwestern Military Academy wrestling team to a 12th place finish. Newman, who was the No. 2 seed at 170 pounds, won an 8-7 decision over No. 1-seed Garrett Riek of River Valley in the finals. Newman improved to 14-0.
Newman entered the week ranked No. 3 in the state according to Wisconsin Wrestling Online's Division 2 rankings. Riek was ranked No. 5.
Alec Pina topped the No. 2 seed and finished fourth at 126, and Micahel Werner took sxith at 106.
Seventh-place results went to freshman William Johnson (132) and junior Nicholas Lies (287).
- Golf scores 10/08/15
- Boys soccer: Lake Country Lutheran kickers blank Brookfield Academy
- Girls volleyball: Pewaukee girls volleyball rebounds to down Whitnall in five
- Cross country: Johnson wins Lightning Invite with impressive time
- Girls golf: Oconomowoc golfers fall short at sectional
- Football: Trick play helps St. John's Northwestern Military Academy, but Lancers still fall
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Charlie's Choices
- Girls golf: Arrowhead girls golf team shoots record 301 at WIAA sectional
- Football: Major conference clash awaits Lake Country Lutheran football