AHS brings home title
Five Arrowhead wrestlers came away with individual championships, and the Warhawks dominated the Wickersham Memorial Invitational in Beaver Dam on Saturday, scoring 205 points and winning the 10-team event by close to 35 points.
Each of the three smallest flights - Aidan Yde (106 pounds) Blake Weber (113) and Rudy Otters (120) got the championship round off on the right foot by recording convincing victories.
The freshman Yde moved to 5-0, and freshman Otters improved to 6-2. It was a breakthrough moment for the junior Weber.
"Blake has so much more potential, and I get glimpses and I know the whole package is there," coach Jeremy Miller said. "I'm waiting for him to burst on to the scene and show everything he has. When he flips that switch, it's going to be a pretty good show."
Mitch Berenz (152) and Andrew Crone (132) pinned their collective five opponents and never saw the third period in any match. Crone was givenOutstanding Wrestler of the tournament, but Miller said the honor could have gone to either one.
"They're a great example for these young guys that are looking on," Miller said.
Cory Cinelli took second at 138 ("I believe Cory can beat anybody," Miller said), Austin Yde took second at 145, and the Warhawks have gotten wrestlers back from injury at the upper weights, where experience is still being accrued. It was the first varsity tournament forJustin Blatnik (heavyweight), who took third.
"He's soaking everything up like a sponge," Miller said. "It's amazing to see what he and Justin Wallace (220 pounds) can do."
Junior Liam Brodie also wrestled for the first time, coming back from an injury. Brodie and Wallace placed fifth, as did utility man Daniel Sorenson at 182.
Zach Barbee, a wrestler "flying under the radar," according to Miller, took fourth at 170.
- Girls lacrosse: Arrowhead lacrosse team sharpens craft against elite programs
- Track and field: Pewaukee boys win Woodland Relays
- Boys golf: Lake Country Lutheran golfers take fourth at mini-meet
- Girls soccer: Kettle Moraine rebounds from loss with big win
- Boys golf: Arrowhead golf winning streak ends
- Softball: Pewaukee out-slugs Wauwatosa West
- Sports Shorts 05/07/15
- Softball: Paszek, Warhawks blank Northstars
- Land O’Lakes: Monches wins again to start season 2-0
- Softball: Pewaukee softball loses pair of lopsided outcomes