Arrowhead girls hoops stifle Northstars, improve to 4-0
Arrowhead found the right formula for containing the best frontcourt in the Classic 8 Conference, and the Warhawks improved to 4-0 with a 51-38 win over Waukesha North on Friday.
Though sisters Elizabeth Kelliher and Jessica Kelliher still combined for 29 points, the Warhawks took a 21-7 lead after the first quarter and ultimately coasted to win.
"North has some younger guards, and we were successful pressuring them in the full court," Arrowhead coach Rick Witte said. "They adjusted really well. Jeff (Worzella) has done a nice job turning that program around, and they adjusted in the second quarter and handled our pressure a bit better and were able to find the Kellihers."
Arrowhead scored only 4 points in the second quarter but got back on track in the second half. Witte encouraged his guards to sag off the guards and double and triple-team the Kellihers in the post, sometimes before they even had the ball.
Junior Kelly Smith was once again the pivot point for the Arrowhead attack, finishing with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
"She can take it to the rack really well and knocked down a couple threes for us," Witte said. "She's a tough matchup for any team, because she's 6-0 and can shoot from the outside. She's finding a knack for that hoop a lot sooner than we thought."
Eight players scored, including Lauren Peterson, who finished with 9 points all in the fourth quarter. Ally May withstood foul trouble -- Witte estimated that she played maybe a total of two quarters -- to still score 10 points and haul in 5 rebounds, and Vanessa Voss keyed the defense.
"She's so quick and gives people problems in the full-court pressure," Witte said. "Offensively, she's really worked hard over the summer. She's so fast, sometimes she'd take off and leave the ball behind. She wanted to fix that, and the work is paying off. When she takes the ball, she's faster than everyone without it."
Voss also added two steals and four assists.
- State of Play: Skill-position talent increasing in Wisconsin football
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Land O’Lakes: Chad Dibb retiring after long LOL career in Hartland
- Another last-second loss for area polo team
- Land O’Lakes: Stretch run begins in Land O'Lakes West
- Golf scores 07/21/16
- Football: Justin Gumm excited about Kettle Moraine football challenge
- Baseball: Pewaukee scores in final at-bat to win thriller over Waukesha North
- Baseball: Marquette too much for Pewaukee baseball in sectional final
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 07/19/16