Arrowhead grapplers just miss regional crown
The Arrowhead wrestling team, grabbed regional titles in four flights, but the Warhawks were just short of moving into Tuesday's team sectional after falling against Menomonee Falls in Saturday's regional at Sussex Hamilton.
Menomonee Falls won the team title with 225 points, earning the team berth. Arrowhead took second place at 202.5, and Oconomowoc finished with 189.5 points.
Top-four finishers in each flight advanced to Saturday's sectional at Oconomowoc, and Arrowhead will be represented by nine wrestlers.
Among them are flight champs Aidan Yde (30-9 at 106), Andrew Crone (35-2 at 132), Mitch Berenz (28-6 at 145) and Zach Barbee (23-16 at 160).
Rudy Otters took second at 120, Cory Cinelli placed second at 126 and Austin Yde took second in a loaded 138-pound bracket.
Daniel Sorenson added a fourth-place showing at 182 to advance, winning an 8-6 overtime decision in the fourth-place match to determine who moved forward. Blake Weber took third at 113.
Both Yde brothers, Crone, Cinelli and Berenz were ranked by Wisconsin Wrestling Online in the Feb. 5 poll, with Crone and Berenz ranked third in theirrespective flights.
Lasers send five onward
Kettle Moraine's varsity wrestling team advanced five wrestlers to the sectional Saturday at Waukesha West, performing at the West Allis Central regional.
Noah Martinez and Austin Clement, weighing in at 195 pounds and 220 pounds respectively, both finished in second place. Clement heads to the sectional with a 32-9 record and Martinez is 28-7.
Michael Hayes was second at 113 pounds. His loss came at the hands of Bill Prochniewski in the first place match by pin.
At 106 pounds, Ethan Averill (35-10) finished in third place at the regional. He was defeated by Jon Baltz of West Allis Hale in the semifinal match before stopping Tyus White of West Allis Central. In a wrestle back for second place Nick Palzkill of Waukesha West pinned Averill in 4:09.
Ian Dretzka finished fourth at 285 pounds.
Bo Hutchinson and Jacob Grewe both took fifth.
- Girls hockey: AHS girls skate short-handed against Lakeshore
- Wrestling: Lasers wrestlers topple Muskego
- Girls basketball: Lasers foiled by shooting trouble again
- Boys basketball: Miller, defense rise to occasion for Lasers boys
- Girls basketball: After rocky start, Oconomowoc girls come alive
- Baseball: Baseball stadium project planned at Arrowhead
- Boys basketball: Big men a force as Arrowhead rallies for win
- Boys basketball: Cold-shooting Pewaukee boys fall to Pius
- Girls basketball: Pius still has Pewaukee's number
- Wrestling: New co-op hands Pewaukee matmen defeat