Arrowhead ties or sets six state records in title win
Arrowhead's undefeated and No. 1 ranked football team didn't just demolish No. 3 ranked Sun Prairie last Friday in the WIAA Division 1 state championship football game at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, but the Warhawks also left their mark on the record book.
The Warhawks set or tied six Division 1 title game records, including:
The 35 points they scored in the first half tied them with Waukesha West (2010) and D.C. Everest (2003) for the most points scored in one half.
The 28 points they scored in the second period set a new record for most points scored in a single quarter. The previous high was 21 set by Waukesha West (2010), Arrowhead (2007), Homestead (2006) and D.C. Everest (2003).
The 225 yards of passing set a new record by the slightest of margins. The old mark was 224 set by Marshfield in 2002.
Arrowhead and Sun Prairie combined to pass for 423 yards for the game, a new record. The old mark was 370 set by Marshfield and Arrowhead in 2002.
AHS senior quarterback Brady Kelliher threw three touchdown passes to tie the state title game record. Mark Hujik of Kenosha Tremper had three TD passes in 1979. Kelliher missed tying the most passing yardage in a game by two yards.
Arrowhead senior Dom Todarello tied the title game record for most single game receptions with five. Seven others also have caught five passes in the championship game.
Three others former Warhawks also have state title game records. Brian Crook has the best per carry average (14.6 yards) set in 2007 and he also has the longest rushing play in title game history with a 93-yard run in 2007. Matt Stover (1994) has the longest field goal at 43 yards and Jeff Budzien (2007) has the best punting average at 45.5 yards per pick.
As a team Arrowhead also has nine other team state title-game records.
- Arrowhead graduate Reinders lighting it up in show skiing
- Land O’Lakes: Titans split with North Prairie
- Baseball: Pewaukee batters win sportsmanship award
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Preps Alcove: 'It is what it is:' Football is a bigger deal than other sports
- Baseball: Groth earns baseball honor (1)
- Polo teams splits twinbill
- Golf: Local golfers play well at State Amateur
- Land O’Lakes: Final slate of LOL games have playoff implications
- Land O’Lakes: Seven teams still alive to reach Land O' Lakes playoffs