Averill fifth at state for KM
Ethan Averill, Noah Martinez and Austin Clement represented Kettle Moraine over the weekend at the University of Wisconsin in the WIAA Division 1 wrestling tournament.
Averill qualified at 106 pounds while Martinez, who finished third last week at 195 pounds in the sectional, moved up on short notice after sectional champ Mitch Major of Mukwonago had to back out of the field with illness. Clement qualified at 220 pounds.
Martinez, a sophomore, lost his match Franklin's Kyle Smith, who came in with a 43-5 record and ultimately finished third place. Martinez lost, 16-2. He racked up 30 victories against just 10 defeats this winter.
Clement was beaten by Lucas Stomberg-Windau of Tomah via decision, 13-7. The Lasers standout ended up 35-11 on the season.
Averill's journey lasted a bit longer then his teammates. After losing his opening match on Thursday to eventual state finalist Aaron Daly of Menomonee Falls, he was awarded another match and finished with three more wins, including one in the fifth-place match against Preston Ernst of Waunakee, a 7-1 victory. Averill's record this season ended up at 44-13.
"This was really something for Ethan," KM coach Frank Cuda said. "He's a kid that's never content with his performances. Here's a guy that finished fourth in conference. Obviously that didn't sit well, so he ended up fifth at state."
Overall, sending three wrestlers to Madison put a smile on Cuda's face.
"I can't remember the last time Kettle Moraine's had three wrestlers at state," Cuda said. "This was a really good year for our program and these guys represented the school exceptionally well."
The Lasers last sent a trio of grapplers to the state meet in 2005 and four wrestlers in 2003.
- Land O’Lakes: Muskies back alone in first place
- Haase, Pewaukee business owner, takes second place in cycling race across country
- Baseball: Six-run fourth dooms Pewaukee in state semifinal
- State of Play: All-Star Game experience shows 8-Man Football flourishing
- Baseball: Pewaukee ready to re-live that 70s show
- Preps Alcove: The Suburban 15 Power Rankings, tracking area athletes on next level
- Land O’Lakes: Two weeks left in LOL West season
- Golf Scores 07/23/15
- Sports Scene: Lots of giant killers in summer baseball
- Baseball: Incredible comeback in third inning lifts Pewaukee baseball to state for first time since 1972