Fischer, UW-Whitewater in D3 Final Four
AHS standout suiting up in national showcase
Charlie Fischer and his University of Wisconsin-Whitewater men's basketball teammates are headed for the National Division III Final Four in Salem, Va.
Fischer, a 6-foot-5 freshman forward who played four years of varsity basketball at Arrowhead High School, helped the school win its first state championship two years ago in his junior season, starting all three games at the state tourney.
Whitewater, 27-4 on the season, earned its berth in the national semifinals last Saturday by defeating visiting Virginia Wesleyan, 76-62. Fischer played four minutes in that game and did not attempt any shots. Virginia Wesleyan finished the year at 27-4.
Whitewater will play in the semifinals on at 87 p.m. Friday CST against Massachusetts Institute of Technology (29-1) at the Salem Civic Center. The first game on Friday will feature Illinois Wesleyan (23-7) meeting Cabrini College (30-1) at 5 p.m. The national championship game will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday
Former Arrowhead standout Brian Gilmore, one of the leading scorers in AHS history, won the national Division III championship when he played for Bo Ryan at UW-Platteville in 1991.
Gilmore graduated from Arrowhead in 1987 and still lives in Hartland.
Fischer has played in 30 of Whitewater's 31 games this year and has averaged 13.3 minutes per game. He's scored 65 points and had his best game against Hamlin University early in the season when he scored 12 points.
Fischer is shooting 31 percent from the field, 28 percent from the 3-point arc and 61 percent from the free-throw line.
- State of Play: Skill-position talent increasing in Wisconsin football
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Land O’Lakes: Chad Dibb retiring after long LOL career in Hartland
- Another last-second loss for area polo team
- Land O’Lakes: Stretch run begins in Land O'Lakes West
- Golf scores 07/21/16
- Football: Justin Gumm excited about Kettle Moraine football challenge
- Baseball: Pewaukee scores in final at-bat to win thriller over Waukesha North
- Baseball: Marquette too much for Pewaukee baseball in sectional final
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 07/19/16