Fischer, UW-Whitewater in D3 Final Four
AHS standout suiting up in national showcase
Charlie Fischer and his University of Wisconsin-Whitewater men's basketball teammates are headed for the National Division III Final Four in Salem, Va.
Fischer, a 6-foot-5 freshman forward who played four years of varsity basketball at Arrowhead High School, helped the school win its first state championship two years ago in his junior season, starting all three games at the state tourney.
Whitewater, 27-4 on the season, earned its berth in the national semifinals last Saturday by defeating visiting Virginia Wesleyan, 76-62. Fischer played four minutes in that game and did not attempt any shots. Virginia Wesleyan finished the year at 27-4.
Whitewater will play in the semifinals on at 87 p.m. Friday CST against Massachusetts Institute of Technology (29-1) at the Salem Civic Center. The first game on Friday will feature Illinois Wesleyan (23-7) meeting Cabrini College (30-1) at 5 p.m. The national championship game will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday
Former Arrowhead standout Brian Gilmore, one of the leading scorers in AHS history, won the national Division III championship when he played for Bo Ryan at UW-Platteville in 1991.
Gilmore graduated from Arrowhead in 1987 and still lives in Hartland.
Fischer has played in 30 of Whitewater's 31 games this year and has averaged 13.3 minutes per game. He's scored 65 points and had his best game against Hamlin University early in the season when he scored 12 points.
Fischer is shooting 31 percent from the field, 28 percent from the 3-point arc and 61 percent from the free-throw line.
- Girls volleyball: Mukwonago pulls away from Arrowhead in volleyball sectional
- Boys soccer: Jende named Woodland Player of Year
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Charlie's Choices 10/30/14
- Cross country: Change worked great for Pewaukee runner Morgan Patterson
- Cross country: Lake Country caravan motors to state
- Football: Warhawks, Lightning set for round two
- Boys soccer: Lasers left on doorstep in shootout
- Cross country: Johnson reaches state meet for LCL
- Boys volleyball: KM boys spikers capture Classic 8 Conference title