Fischer, UW-Whitewater in D3 Final Four
AHS standout suiting up in national showcase
Charlie Fischer and his University of Wisconsin-Whitewater men's basketball teammates are headed for the National Division III Final Four in Salem, Va.
Fischer, a 6-foot-5 freshman forward who played four years of varsity basketball at Arrowhead High School, helped the school win its first state championship two years ago in his junior season, starting all three games at the state tourney.
Whitewater, 27-4 on the season, earned its berth in the national semifinals last Saturday by defeating visiting Virginia Wesleyan, 76-62. Fischer played four minutes in that game and did not attempt any shots. Virginia Wesleyan finished the year at 27-4.
Whitewater will play in the semifinals on at 87 p.m. Friday CST against Massachusetts Institute of Technology (29-1) at the Salem Civic Center. The first game on Friday will feature Illinois Wesleyan (23-7) meeting Cabrini College (30-1) at 5 p.m. The national championship game will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday
Former Arrowhead standout Brian Gilmore, one of the leading scorers in AHS history, won the national Division III championship when he played for Bo Ryan at UW-Platteville in 1991.
Gilmore graduated from Arrowhead in 1987 and still lives in Hartland.
Fischer has played in 30 of Whitewater's 31 games this year and has averaged 13.3 minutes per game. He's scored 65 points and had his best game against Hamlin University early in the season when he scored 12 points.
Fischer is shooting 31 percent from the field, 28 percent from the 3-point arc and 61 percent from the free-throw line.
- Girls soccer: Pewaukee girls soccer blanks Greenfield
- Girls soccer: Waukesha West girls soccer gets by Arrowhead with late goal
- Track and field: Pewaukee girls win Woodland Relays
- Boys golf: Arrowhead golfers snag second
- Baseball: Arrowhead baseball survives anxious moments, moves to 12-0
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead tennis stages surprising sweep of Lasers
- Softball: Arrowhead softball back near the top
- Lake Country Lutheran roundup: Lake Country Lutheran golfers take second at invite
- Softball: Kettle Moraine girls upset Muskego yet again
- Boys tennis: Pirates tennis team splits matches at weekend quad