Hawks hockey wins Admirals Cup title
The first goal of the season for junior Matt Keranen turned out to be a big one for Arrowhead's boys hockey team.
Playing in the championship game of the Milwaukee Admirals Cup on Friday afternoon at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in downtown Milwaukee, Keranen knocked in a rebound shot early in the final period, and that goal turned out to be the game-winning score as the streaking Warhawks won the championship by scoring a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Cedarburg.
The win improved Arrowhead to 9-2-1 on the season, one of the best marks in this part of the state. The Admirals Cup title was the first for the Warhawks since 2008 and the third time they've won the meet championship.
After AHS let a 2-0 second period lead disappear when Cedarburg (5-6-2) scored once in the second stanza and once just 39 seconds into the final period, Keranen found himself in the right place at the right time.
Just 16 seconds after Tyler Fisher scored for Cedarburg, the Warhawks attacked the Bulldogs zone, when Keranen fired in the game-winner.
Keranen, hanging out in the left crease, knocked in a missed Arrowhead shot over the left shoulder of Cedarburg's talented goalie Tyler Jansen.
Arrowhead coach Mike Watt, who not only played in the NHL but also spent the 2000-01 season playing for the Admirals, was proud of his team's victory.
"I've got a lot of memories from playing at the Bradley Center, and this was a great opportunity for our kids to play in a professional hockey arena like this," Watt said. "I thought our kids handled the pressure of playing in the Bradley Center very well. Not many high school hockey players get a chance like that. And then to win the game made it more special."
Colin Nowicki connected with just 20 seconds to go in the first period. The Hawks made it a 2-0 lead at the 11:39 mark of the second stanza when Sam Dvorak found the back of the Cedarburg net. Jake Miller assisted.
Cedarburg cut the deficit to 2-1 with a goal in the second period before tying the game at 2-2 to start the final period.
- Girls soccer: Arrowhead soccer team ties top-ranked Catholic Memorial
- Girls soccer: Kettle Moraine explodes in second half to stay unbeaten
- Girls soccer: Schill scores three for Pewaukee in Woodland opener
- Softball: Pewaukee falls to New Berlin West
- Girls soccer: Lake County Lutheran soccer finds a win after suffering first loss
- Local runners finish at Boston Marathon
- Land O’Lakes: Western Division games begin Sunday
- Sports Scene: Land O'Lakes West begins 94th season Sunday
- Boys lacrosse: Arrowhead lacrosse downs Franklin in opener
- Girls soccer: Last-minute goal wins it for Pewaukee