Hirschfeld, Panos named All State
Arrowhead junior offensive lineman George Panos and junior defensive lineman Billy Hirschfeld were both named All State by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association, announced Wednesday.
The 6-6, 285-pound Hirschfeld is attracting recruiting interest from a number of Division 1 programs, and the 6-5, 280 Panos committed to play for the University of Wisconsin in 2014.
Honorable mention choices include Pewaukee senior defensive end T.J. Watt, Pewaukee senior inside linebacker David Girmscheid, Arrowhead senior quarterback Brady Kelliher, Arrowhead junior wide receiver Ricky Finco, Arrowhead senior defensive back Jackson Abresch, Warhawks senior running back Dom Todarello and Lake Country Lutheran receiver Jacob Demman.
The WFCA named Brookfield east defensive end Alec James the Defensive Player of the Year and cited Big Foot running back Mason Dixon as Offensive Player of the Year.
Others from the Classic 8 Conference to garner first-team All State mention were Nate Tanguay of Mukwonago (defensive end), Alec Kocour of Catholic Memorial (defensive back), Matt Hubley of Memorial (offensive back) and Dylan Chmura of Waukesha West (tight end).
No first-team selections were made from the Woodland or Midwest Classic.
Memorial and Arrowhead will both play in state-championship games Friday.
Arrowhead's opponent, Sun Prairie, features first-team All State choice Craig Evans (defensive line.
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead girls look to future after run to state in 2015
- Softball: Freeze, Trojans no match for Pewaukee softball in opener
- Sports Scene: Lots of questions, only a few answers
- New approach: 92-year-old Van Dam will keep bowling even as Hartbrook closes
- Girls basketball: Injuries that cost KM girls could be blessing in disguise
- Boys basketball: KM boys program has sustained its success
- Basketball: Hansen, Gerrits named first-team for Pewaukee basketball
- Track and field: Duchow, Psicihulis win titles for KM
- Track and field: PHS boys win Nelson Daniels Classic title
- Track and field: Hughes leads number of top-three finishes for Arrowhead