Hirschfeld, Panos named All State
Arrowhead junior offensive lineman George Panos and junior defensive lineman Billy Hirschfeld were both named All State by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association, announced Wednesday.
The 6-6, 285-pound Hirschfeld is attracting recruiting interest from a number of Division 1 programs, and the 6-5, 280 Panos committed to play for the University of Wisconsin in 2014.
Honorable mention choices include Pewaukee senior defensive end T.J. Watt, Pewaukee senior inside linebacker David Girmscheid, Arrowhead senior quarterback Brady Kelliher, Arrowhead junior wide receiver Ricky Finco, Arrowhead senior defensive back Jackson Abresch, Warhawks senior running back Dom Todarello and Lake Country Lutheran receiver Jacob Demman.
The WFCA named Brookfield east defensive end Alec James the Defensive Player of the Year and cited Big Foot running back Mason Dixon as Offensive Player of the Year.
Others from the Classic 8 Conference to garner first-team All State mention were Nate Tanguay of Mukwonago (defensive end), Alec Kocour of Catholic Memorial (defensive back), Matt Hubley of Memorial (offensive back) and Dylan Chmura of Waukesha West (tight end).
No first-team selections were made from the Woodland or Midwest Classic.
Memorial and Arrowhead will both play in state-championship games Friday.
Arrowhead's opponent, Sun Prairie, features first-team All State choice Craig Evans (defensive line.
- Girls basketball: ULS girls dominate in tournament opener, hold Salam scoreless for three quarters
- Boys basketball: LCL boys down Lomira
- Boys basketball: Arrowhead boys fall to Marquette
- Girls basketball: Lake Country Lutheran girls win tourney opener
- Boys hockey: Lasers hockey co-op on the doorstep of another state tournament after blanking Marquette
- Sports Scene: WIAA postseason sometimes looks like a conference tourney
- Boys basketball: Kettle Moraine boys roll over Edgerton
- Wrestling: Arrowhead sends five wrestlers to state meet
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 02/24/15
- Boys swimming: Pewaukee's Fahey grabs eighth at state swimming meet