Hirschfeld, Panos named All State
Arrowhead junior offensive lineman George Panos and junior defensive lineman Billy Hirschfeld were both named All State by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association, announced Wednesday.
The 6-6, 285-pound Hirschfeld is attracting recruiting interest from a number of Division 1 programs, and the 6-5, 280 Panos committed to play for the University of Wisconsin in 2014.
Honorable mention choices include Pewaukee senior defensive end T.J. Watt, Pewaukee senior inside linebacker David Girmscheid, Arrowhead senior quarterback Brady Kelliher, Arrowhead junior wide receiver Ricky Finco, Arrowhead senior defensive back Jackson Abresch, Warhawks senior running back Dom Todarello and Lake Country Lutheran receiver Jacob Demman.
The WFCA named Brookfield east defensive end Alec James the Defensive Player of the Year and cited Big Foot running back Mason Dixon as Offensive Player of the Year.
Others from the Classic 8 Conference to garner first-team All State mention were Nate Tanguay of Mukwonago (defensive end), Alec Kocour of Catholic Memorial (defensive back), Matt Hubley of Memorial (offensive back) and Dylan Chmura of Waukesha West (tight end).
No first-team selections were made from the Woodland or Midwest Classic.
Memorial and Arrowhead will both play in state-championship games Friday.
Arrowhead's opponent, Sun Prairie, features first-team All State choice Craig Evans (defensive line.
- State of Play: WisSports football rankings feature Lake Country-area squads
- Girls soccer: Arrowhead girls soccer beats South
- Track and field: Lake Country Lutheran track and field fares well at regional
- Boys golf: Lake Country Lutheran boys golf heads back to sectional
- Boys golf: Arrowhead, Pewaukee golfers move on
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead, Kettle Moraine netters advance
- Baseball: Arrowhead baseball secures two more wins
- Land O’Lakes: Monches, Hartland post Land O'Lakes victories
- Sports scene: Kettle Moraine football endures tough blow with loss of Pfeiffer
- Baseball: Pewaukee baseball team goes 2-1 in first three games