Hirschfeld, Panos named All State
Arrowhead junior offensive lineman George Panos and junior defensive lineman Billy Hirschfeld were both named All State by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association, announced Wednesday.
The 6-6, 285-pound Hirschfeld is attracting recruiting interest from a number of Division 1 programs, and the 6-5, 280 Panos committed to play for the University of Wisconsin in 2014.
Honorable mention choices include Pewaukee senior defensive end T.J. Watt, Pewaukee senior inside linebacker David Girmscheid, Arrowhead senior quarterback Brady Kelliher, Arrowhead junior wide receiver Ricky Finco, Arrowhead senior defensive back Jackson Abresch, Warhawks senior running back Dom Todarello and Lake Country Lutheran receiver Jacob Demman.
The WFCA named Brookfield east defensive end Alec James the Defensive Player of the Year and cited Big Foot running back Mason Dixon as Offensive Player of the Year.
Others from the Classic 8 Conference to garner first-team All State mention were Nate Tanguay of Mukwonago (defensive end), Alec Kocour of Catholic Memorial (defensive back), Matt Hubley of Memorial (offensive back) and Dylan Chmura of Waukesha West (tight end).
No first-team selections were made from the Woodland or Midwest Classic.
Memorial and Arrowhead will both play in state-championship games Friday.
Arrowhead's opponent, Sun Prairie, features first-team All State choice Craig Evans (defensive line.
- Girls hockey: AHS girls skate short-handed against Lakeshore
- Wrestling: Lasers wrestlers topple Muskego
- Girls basketball: Lasers foiled by shooting trouble again
- Boys basketball: Miller, defense rise to occasion for Lasers boys
- Girls basketball: After rocky start, Oconomowoc girls come alive
- Baseball: Baseball stadium project planned at Arrowhead
- Boys basketball: Big men a force as Arrowhead rallies for win
- Boys basketball: Cold-shooting Pewaukee boys fall to Pius
- Girls basketball: Pius still has Pewaukee's number
- Wrestling: New co-op hands Pewaukee matmen defeat