Kettle Moraine girls party like it's 1999
KM girls 15 for 15 at free throw line in fourth quarter
Looking an awful lot like the Kettle Moraine girls basketball teams of old, the Lasers came to play Feb. 5 against Arrowhead.
Host KM played stingy defense, kept Arrowhead off the boards and went 23 for 25 from the free-throw line to stage a 56-46 upset victory in the Classic 8 Conference.
Linley Achtenhagen, Chloe Tompkins, Olivia Weber and Jordan Fink did their best impersonations of Adrienne Norris, Kelly Schwerman, Monica Frede and Sara Janicki, key members of the 1999 WIAA Division 1 state champion team.
Kettle Moraine jumped out to an 11-0 lead midway through the first quarter and fended off Arrowhead's third-quarter surge, improving to 6-11 overall and 3-8 in the Classic 8 Conference.
Arrowhead held a brief fourth quarter lead, 34-33. With 7:10 to play, Ally May drilled a 3-point field goal from the top of the key, but from that point forward, it was Kettle Moraine's night. The Lasers, who have struggled to find consistency this season, notched their biggest win of the year.
The Lasers were 15 for 15 in the final stanza, with Tompkins going 8 for 8.
"Yeah I don't know how often that's going to happen," said Fink, the Lasers point guard, who was 4 for 4 at the line. "But it sure felt good. Everyone played awesome tonight."
Achtenhagen scored 18 points for the Lasers, who got 12 points each from Weber and Tompkins. Kelly Smith scored 18 for Arrowhead. Miller and May each finished with 8 points.
"Our mind set going into this game was forget the first 16 games; both teams are coming in 0-0," Kettle Moraine head girls basketball coach Janine Emmer said. "With the talent and athletic ability Arrowhead has, you have to own the boards and play defense. We did that tonight and executed. It's a great win against a strong program used to winning. I'm very proud of this team."
Arrowhead varsity girls coach Rick Witte tipped his cap.
"Right from the start, they wanted it more," Witte said. "I saw this coming. They have a lot of talent. They did the little things well, boxed out and didn't turn the ball over. It was their night."
- State of Play: WisSports football rankings feature Lake Country-area squads
- Girls soccer: Arrowhead girls soccer beats South
- Track and field: Lake Country Lutheran track and field fares well at regional
- Boys golf: Lake Country Lutheran boys golf heads back to sectional
- Boys golf: Arrowhead, Pewaukee golfers move on
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead, Kettle Moraine netters advance
- Baseball: Arrowhead baseball secures two more wins
- Land O’Lakes: Monches, Hartland post Land O'Lakes victories
- Sports scene: Kettle Moraine football endures tough blow with loss of Pfeiffer
- Baseball: Pewaukee baseball team goes 2-1 in first three games