Kettle Moraine jayvees lose in triple OT
Lasers fall in dramatic contest against West
Last Friday night was a long night for the KettleMoraine junior varsity boys basketball team. As in, three overtimes long.
Playing a Classic 8 Conference game against host Waukesha West, the Lasers played in the highest-scoring jayvee game in school history when they lost to the Wolverines in triple overtime, 98-94. The game lasted three hours.
"This was a heartbreaker to lose," said KM coach Mike Serath. "Even though we lost, I'm proud of how the boys battled and how our bench stepped up when guys fouled out. We continued to fight hard even when we starting losing some guys."
By the time the game ended, Kettle Moraine had four players foul out and three others finish with four fouls.
The two teams battled to a 64-64 draw at the end of regulation and were still tied at 72 after the first overtime. They were knotted at 82 after the second overtime before West finally found a way to win the game at the end of the third extra period.
Freshman Eric Miller and sophomore George Schwartz led the Lasers with 20 points apiece. Freshman Jacob Varick chipped in with 18 points, and sophomore Colin Murphy had 12 points.
KM led by nine points going into the fourth quarter and watched as West made two free throws with five seconds to go in regulation to force overtime. The Lasers then tied the game in the final seconds of the first extra period.
The loss dropped Kettle Moraine to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in league play. The Lasers will play at Waukesha South on Friday.
Waukesha West 98, Kettle Moraine 94
- State of Play: Skill-position talent increasing in Wisconsin football
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Land O’Lakes: Chad Dibb retiring after long LOL career in Hartland
- Another last-second loss for area polo team
- Land O’Lakes: Stretch run begins in Land O'Lakes West
- Golf scores 07/21/16
- Football: Justin Gumm excited about Kettle Moraine football challenge
- Baseball: Pewaukee scores in final at-bat to win thriller over Waukesha North
- Baseball: Marquette too much for Pewaukee baseball in sectional final
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 07/19/16