Kettle Moraine reaches fifth straight WIAA sectional final
Lasers volleyball downs Memorial in three sets
Kettle Moraine breezed into the WIAA boys volleyball sectional final, overcoming hiccups in one set and topping Beloit Memorial on Tuesday, 25-14, 25-22, 25-17.
The Lasers have now reached the sectional final five straight years, but this is the first time Kettle Moraine holds the top seed in that stretch. KM last reached the state tournament in 2008 and 2009.
The Lasers will face visiting Middleton on Thursday. The Cardinals eliminated Mukwonago in four sets on Tuesday.
"I think we got a little complacent with how we were playing and didn't play our smartest volleyball (in the second set), but they played alright," KM coach Tom Gulak said. "When we were playing well in all three sets, it didn't look very close. It gave me a chance to play everyone."
Gulak credited junior setter Michael Orgas, senior outside Adam Martell, senior hitter Alex Koenig and senior defensive specialist Ben Mayer for a job well done.
"We'll see as we up the level of play on Thursday, because I think Middleton will come in here with a little higher level of play," Gulak said.
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead girls look to future after run to state in 2015
- Softball: Freeze, Trojans no match for Pewaukee softball in opener
- Sports Scene: Lots of questions, only a few answers
- New approach: 92-year-old Van Dam will keep bowling even as Hartbrook closes
- Girls basketball: Injuries that cost KM girls could be blessing in disguise
- Boys basketball: KM boys program has sustained its success
- Basketball: Hansen, Gerrits named first-team for Pewaukee basketball
- Track and field: Duchow, Psicihulis win titles for KM
- Track and field: PHS boys win Nelson Daniels Classic title
- Track and field: Hughes leads number of top-three finishes for Arrowhead