Kettle Moraine upsets Catholic Memorial boys
Kettle Moraine's boys basketball team got its signature victory of the season Tuesday night. Hosting third-place Catholic Memorial in a Classic 8 Conference game, the Lasers got off to a torrid start and stunned the Crusaders, 60-55.
The win moved the KM record to 11-10 overall and 5-8 in league play. Kettle Moraine will close out the regular season on Friday at Muskego (7-13, 3-9).
In the first round of the WIAA Division 1 regional, the Lasers will play at Arrowhead (18-3) on Friday, Feb. 22.
Against Memorial (15-6, 9-4) on Tuesday, KM got off to fast start, taking a 19-4 lead after the first period. By halftime, the Lasers led, 37-22.
CMH did get the upper hand in the second half, outscoring Kettle Moraine by a 33-23 margin. KM never gave up the lead in the second half.
Junior guard Paul Miller, who has been solid all season for the Lasers, fired in 30 points to lead the winners Miller had nine baskets and converted 8 of 9 foul shots.
Going into the game, Miller had made 24 straight free throws in his previous four games.
Junior forward Mitchell Oleson tossed in 10 tallies for the Lasers. Mike Giesie was next with 7 points.
Ayinde Starling led Memorial with 18 points.
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 2
- Girls volleyball: Andersen comes alive against KCL girls
- Sports Shorts 10/30/14
- Girls volleyball: Mukwonago pulls away from Arrowhead in volleyball sectional
- Boys soccer: Jende named Woodland Player of Year
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Charlie's Choices 10/30/14
- Cross country: Change worked great for Pewaukee runner Morgan Patterson
- Cross country: Lake Country caravan motors to state
- Football: Warhawks, Lightning set for round two