Kettle Moraine upsets Catholic Memorial boys
Kettle Moraine's boys basketball team got its signature victory of the season Tuesday night. Hosting third-place Catholic Memorial in a Classic 8 Conference game, the Lasers got off to a torrid start and stunned the Crusaders, 60-55.
The win moved the KM record to 11-10 overall and 5-8 in league play. Kettle Moraine will close out the regular season on Friday at Muskego (7-13, 3-9).
In the first round of the WIAA Division 1 regional, the Lasers will play at Arrowhead (18-3) on Friday, Feb. 22.
Against Memorial (15-6, 9-4) on Tuesday, KM got off to fast start, taking a 19-4 lead after the first period. By halftime, the Lasers led, 37-22.
CMH did get the upper hand in the second half, outscoring Kettle Moraine by a 33-23 margin. KM never gave up the lead in the second half.
Junior guard Paul Miller, who has been solid all season for the Lasers, fired in 30 points to lead the winners Miller had nine baskets and converted 8 of 9 foul shots.
Going into the game, Miller had made 24 straight free throws in his previous four games.
Junior forward Mitchell Oleson tossed in 10 tallies for the Lasers. Mike Giesie was next with 7 points.
Ayinde Starling led Memorial with 18 points.
- Boys soccer: Kettle Moraine kickers win in a blowout
- Football: Playoff hunt resumes in Week 7
- Boys soccer: Arrowhead kickers forced to settle for another tie
- Land O’Lakes: Guetzke wins LOL MVP award
- Boys soccer: Jende scores five times in win over Rockets
- Sports Shorts: Arrowhead JV tennis wins league title, too
- Golf Scores: 10/02/14
- Sports Scene: Kettle Moraine making progress under Pfeiffer
- Girls swimming: Arrowhead swimmers second
- Girls tennis: Arrowhead heads into WIAA postseason as heavy favorite