Lasers taken down by West in overtime
Paul Miller thought he had it, racing back up court in anticipation of a game-winning 3-pointer falling through, but it rattled out.
Just seconds earlier, Waukesha West had tied the score on a stepback 3-pointer from Tyler Domenoski. KM drove the floor without calling for time with six seconds to play, and Miller (34 points) nearly had the cherry on top of a stellar performance.
Instead, the Lasers were forced to settle for their first loss of the year, a 63-59 setback on the road in overtime.
"They set a ball screen, and we switched and he just stepped back," KM coach Brad Bestor said. "Our guy was right on him. Paul got a 22-footer, but it wasn't meant to be."
The Lasers were outscored in overtime, 6-2.
KM came out of the second half gate firing, turning a five-point halftime deficit into a four-point lead heading into the fourth. Miller was driving the bus, going 14 for 17 at the free-throw line.
"He's just really solid for us, and he kind of took over the game in stretches," Bestor said. "He had some really good passes to guys as well. He finished with five assists and seven rebounds and really played solid at the point. He got other guys in foul trouble and forced them to switch matchups."
Miller, a junior who averaged 18 points per game in the second half of the season last year, has come a long way for the Lasers.
"He just worked on his game, loves to play and there's good things ahead in the future with him in our program."
Mike Ottusch finished with 9 points and five rebounds.
- Boys basketball: Lake Country Lutheran, Matejic start season with a bang
- Girls basketball: Pirates endure another heartbreaker
- Boys basketball: Pewaukee tops talented Milwaukee Washington, 81-79
- Girls basketball: Kettle Moraine girls drop two at Brookfield
- Boys basketball: Kettle Moraine boys drop opener
- Boys hockey: Kettle Moraine hockey team drops first three
- Football: Bredeson reels in more honors with AP All-State nod
- Girls hockey: Arrowhead girls hockey team takes second
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead girls lose second straight to open season
- State of Play: All-Finals team provides one last glimpse at 2015 football season