Malling earns state's top coaching honor
After winning the coveted state title and having three players named to the 2012 Associated Press All-State first team, Arrowhead's head football coach Greg Malling was named Wisconsin Football Coaches Association/Green Bay Packers Coach of the Year, presented by the Wisconsin National Guard.
Malling, 38, just finished his second season as the Arrowhead coach, leading the Warhawks to the state title with a perfect 13-0 mark. In his two years at AHS, Malling's teams have a 21-2 record.
"It's very humbling to receive this award," Malling said. It's a direct reflection of an incredible coaching staff and a great group of kids who worked and played well together all year long. It was an amazing experience."
The Packers and the Wisconsin National Guard will award a $3,000 donation to the Arrowhead football program. Malling will be presented the award at the Packers home game against the Tennessee Titans on Dec. 23 and honored on Jan. 27 at the WFCA All-State banquet in the Lambeau Field Atrium.
Malling's teams in his first two years have averaged 40.4 points per game and has scored 40 or more points in 14 of the 23 games.
His coaching career started as an assistant at Beulah High School in North Dakota. After taking three years off from the game, he took an assistant's job in Maryland before getting his first head coaching job at Wootton High School in 2005. After five years he moved to Florida to take an assistant's job at Leesburg for one year before getting the Arrowhead head coaching position.
Malling teaches English at AHS.
- Football: St. John's Northwestern Military Academy rebounds in a big way
- Land O’Lakes: Muskies win playoff opener
- Girls volleyball: Pewaukee volleyball takes second at invite
- Boys soccer: Kettle Moraine wins one, drops another in Verona tournament
- Boys soccer: Lake Country Lutheran forces tie in second game of year
- Boys soccer: Arrowhead kickers impress at quad
- Boys soccer: Pewaukee soccer overcomes unexpected hurdles
- Girls swimming: Waukesha North/Kettle Moraine swimmers win own invite
- Sports Shorts 09/01/15
- Girls tennis: Kettle Moraine netters open with a win