Pewaukee no match for Eisenhower
Pewaukee coach Todd Hansen knew his young Pirates girls basketball squad would have its hands full against perennially tough New Berlin Eisenhower, a team that returns two of its top three players from last year's state finalist. But he was still hoping for a better showing when his team incurred a 59-32 loss Tuesday.
The Pirates fell to 3-1, incurring their first loss of the year.
"The thing that was disappointing is I didn't think we played with that much heart and passion," Hansen said. "We're a young team, and things have gone well the first three games. I can handle losing, but I don't like the fact that we didn't play with emotion. It's not every girl, but it seemed like we were very flat."
The Pirates were involved in the game until late. The deficit was 10 points at halftime, and the Pirates scored the first 4 points of the second half to pull within 6.
"We had two or three chances to cut it to 4, and we didn't," Hansen said. "From that point on, from about six minutes to go in the third quarter to the end of the game, we got outscored, 29-8. We had a stretch of probably eight or nine minutes in the second half where we didn't score a point."
The Pirates committed 23 turnovers. Freshman Abby Gerrits finished with 12 points, five rebounds and three steals.
Katie Lang and Jenny Weiland - the aforementioned two returning players for Eisenhower - combined for 29 points.
New Berlin Eisenhower 59, Pewaukee 32
- Boys hockey: Arrowhead hockey team wins in Janesville
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Boys basketball: Lake Country Lutheran's defense holds strong in win
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead girls defeat Catholic Memorial
- Girls basketball: Pewaukee girls roll against Wauwatosa West
- Boys basketball: Pewaukee boys earn narrow win
- Boys basketball: Big second half sparks Arrowhead boys
- Girls basketball: Kettle Moraine girls tied for first place
- Boys basketball: Lasers just miss scoring upset over Muskego
- Girls hockey: Arrowhead co-op girls hockey team wins twice