Pewaukee no match for Eisenhower
Pewaukee coach Todd Hansen knew his young Pirates girls basketball squad would have its hands full against perennially tough New Berlin Eisenhower, a team that returns two of its top three players from last year's state finalist. But he was still hoping for a better showing when his team incurred a 59-32 loss Tuesday.
The Pirates fell to 3-1, incurring their first loss of the year.
"The thing that was disappointing is I didn't think we played with that much heart and passion," Hansen said. "We're a young team, and things have gone well the first three games. I can handle losing, but I don't like the fact that we didn't play with emotion. It's not every girl, but it seemed like we were very flat."
The Pirates were involved in the game until late. The deficit was 10 points at halftime, and the Pirates scored the first 4 points of the second half to pull within 6.
"We had two or three chances to cut it to 4, and we didn't," Hansen said. "From that point on, from about six minutes to go in the third quarter to the end of the game, we got outscored, 29-8. We had a stretch of probably eight or nine minutes in the second half where we didn't score a point."
The Pirates committed 23 turnovers. Freshman Abby Gerrits finished with 12 points, five rebounds and three steals.
Katie Lang and Jenny Weiland - the aforementioned two returning players for Eisenhower - combined for 29 points.
New Berlin Eisenhower 59, Pewaukee 32
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead netters finish fourth
- Boys golf: Pewaukee golfers win Pirate Cup
- Girls soccer: Kettle Moraine kickers cruise to 10th win
- Boys tennis: Oconomowoc boys tennis keeps momentum going
- Girls soccer: Win for Oconomowoc soccer sets up big match against Hartford
- Girls soccer: Arrowhead kickers down Germantown
- Softball: Kornowski throws perfect game for Lake Country Lutheran softball
- Girls soccer: Lake Country Lutheran fights through injuries
- Girls lacrosse: Warhawks leaves no doubt in winning crown
- Baseball: Lightning baseball racks up 35 runs in rout