Pirates come up big in OT at Pius
Battle with unbeaten Brown Deer on Tuesday
Host Milwaukee Pius went ahead by one point with 30 seconds to play on Dec. 14 against Pewaukee after converting two free throws, but the guests were poised, getting the ball inside to junior Eric Lutzen. He drew contact, missed the first free throw but made the second, sending Friday's Woodland Conference West game into overtime.
From there, it was all Pewaukee.
The Pirates knocked off the Popes, 59-50, improving to 6-3 overall and 4-2 in the conference. Pius fell to 5-4 overall and 4-3 in league play.
"We got the tip in overtime and (senior) David Girmscheid had a huge three-point play to get us going," Pewaukee head boys basketball coach Mike Basile said. "From there, I think we scored the next 7 points and never looked back."
Pewaukee was 26 for 37 at the free throw line and had four players - Lutzen, Girmscheid, junior Ryan Stepanovich and senior Nick Clement - score in double figures. Lutzen had 15 points and Stepanovich finished the night with 11 points for the winners.
Junior Jordan Hass chipped in with 7 points. Lutzen grabbed 10 rebounds.
"This was a huge win for us," Basile said. "It was a road win against a team that beat us earlier and is highly regarded in this conference."
On Dec. 18, Pewaukee has another challenge, facing undefeated Brown Deer (8-0 overall, 7-0 in the Woodland Conference).
"They very well might be the best team in the conference," Basile said. "It's a big game."
Pewaukee 59, Milwaukee Pius 50 (OT)
- Boys soccer: Lake Country Lutheran kickers blank Brookfield Academy
- Girls volleyball: Pewaukee girls volleyball rebounds to down Whitnall in five
- Cross country: Johnson wins Lightning Invite with impressive time
- Girls golf: Oconomowoc golfers fall short at sectional
- Football: Trick play helps St. John's Northwestern Military Academy, but Lancers still fall
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Charlie's Choices
- Girls golf: Arrowhead girls golf team shoots record 301 at WIAA sectional
- Football: Major conference clash awaits Lake Country Lutheran football
- Girls tennis: Pewaukee tennis sends two flights at sectional, Arrowhead cruises