Pirates keep foot on gas in victory
St. Francis no match for Pewaukee girls
The Pewaukee press once again did its job Tuesday, and the Pirates girls basketball team coasted to an 80-42 win over St. Francis.
Pewaukee (5-1, 3-1 in Woodland Conference) took a 20-8 lead after one quarter and led at halftime, 38-12.
"We were getting a lot of turnovers and easy baskets," PHS coach Todd Hansen said. "We got on them early and didn't give them any chance, and that was nice to see. We had 11 girls play and 11 girls score, so a lot of kids got minutes and it was definitely a team effort again."
Abby Gerrits led four players in double figures with 19 points on 8 of 8 shooting, and she also finished with five steals. Sarah Caccese had 10 pointes and five rebounds, and Danielle Jasinski added 11 pointes.
Jessie Bacon, a freshman who splits time with JV and varsity, scored 10 points, as well.
"It was nice to see everybody who suited up score," Hansen said. "We were definitely the better team and did what we have to do."
Friday marks a huge battle as league newcomer Milwaukee Pius (5-1) comes to Pewaukee.
Pewaukee 80, St. Francis 42
- Boys soccer: Kettle Moraine kickers win in a blowout
- Football: Playoff hunt resumes in Week 7
- Boys soccer: Arrowhead kickers forced to settle for another tie
- Land O’Lakes: Guetzke wins LOL MVP award
- Boys soccer: Jende scores five times in win over Rockets
- Sports Shorts: Arrowhead JV tennis wins league title, too
- Golf Scores: 10/02/14
- Sports Scene: Kettle Moraine making progress under Pfeiffer
- Girls swimming: Arrowhead swimmers second
- Girls tennis: Arrowhead heads into WIAA postseason as heavy favorite