Pirates upset by N.B. West
All of the momentum Pewaukee's boys basketball team built going into Friday's Woodland Conference home game with New Berlin West disappeared in a disastrous fourth quarter, one in which the Pirates got outscored by a 17-9 margin and ultimately fell, 53-49.
Going into the game, the Pirates had won 10 of their previous 11 starts.
After defeating host Shorewood on Wednesday night (60-44), Pewaukee faced a West team which came into the battle with a 3-14 record overall and a 3-10 conference mark, the last place team in the West Division. But that meant little in the final period, when the Pirates made just 8 of 18 foul shots (44 percent) and converting just 1 of their final 15 shots from 3-point range.
"We got off to a pretty good start but then struggled as the game moved on," coach Mike Basile said. "We made some threes right away but then couldn't buy one in the second half. Plus, our free-throwing shooting hurt us a lot. I've said all season that if we didn't improve, it was going to get us some night. Well, it got us."
The Pirates moved to 14-5 overall and 11-3 in league play. Pewaukee will play at league-leading New Berlin Eisenhower (11-2) on Tuesday.
"Even though we lost this game, we still determine our own fate," Basile said.
Pewaukee took a 19-10 lead after the first period against West and still led going into the final period, 40-36.
Leading scorer Eric Lutzen had foul trouble right from the start and was held to a season-low 6 points. Ryan Stepanovich led PHS in scoring with 12 points, and senior guard Dave Girmscheid chipped in with 11. Austin Cairo added 8 points.
Pewaukee trounces Shorewood
In a rare Wednesday night game, the Pirates traveled to Shorewood and came away with a 60-44 victory.
Nick Clement had one of his best games of the season, finishing with 12 points, nailing a game-high trio of 3-pointers. Lutzen finished with 14 points and eight rebounds.
- Girls volleyball: Pewaukee volleyball takes second at invite
- Boys soccer: Kettle Moraine wins one, drops another in Verona tournament
- Boys soccer: Lake Country Lutheran force tie in second game of year
- Boys soccer: Arrowhead kickers impress at quad
- Boys soccer: Pewaukee soccer overcomes unexpected hurdles
- Girls swimming: Waukesha North/Kettle Moraine swimmers win own invite
- Sports Shorts 09/01/15
- Girls tennis: Kettle Moraine netters open with a win
- Football: Wisconsin Lutheran rallies past Pewaukee
- Cross country: Pewaukee's Wagner wins at Arrowhead