Pius has too much quickness for PHS
Pewaukee girls fall behind early against Lady Popes
Just like its opponent Friday, Pewaukee had quickness, youth and a shortage of size. But Milwaukee Pius had a little more in the first category.
The Pirates girls basketball team committed nine first-quarter turnovers and fell behind by 12 points when the Popes went on a 13-0 run, ultimately falling to the No. 2 team in Division 2 with a 49-36 setback in the Woodland Conference.
"I think we're pretty quick, and they're quicker than we are," PHS coach Todd Hansen said. "They played at a higher speed than we did, and we got killed on the offensive boards, and it wasn't because they were bigger than us."
Reeling in 16 offensive rebounds, Pius was able to overcome its poor shooting night (35 percent) and coast to victory. Lindsay Wiesniewski authored a late run for the Pirates, scoring the team's final 11 points, including the final eight points of the game.
Her launch from 30 feet at the final buzzer splashed through to give her 13 points for the night.
It came far too late, however. After the Pirates took an early 6-5 lead, Pius took an 18-6 lead following the first basket of the second quarter.
Leading scorer Abby Gerrits finished with 7 points for Pewaukee, and Pius finished the night forcing 25 turnovers.
"We've got to learn what we can do offensively when teams are taking stuff away," Hansen said. "That will come with maturity. We were ready to play, and we knew what they were going to do. They were just one step ahead of us tonight. A little bit, we kind of put our heads down when things weren't going our way. … At times tonight, I thought we played passive."
The Pirates are working without a senior in the rotation and just one senior anywhere on the roster, while Pius operates with two seniors on its roster. Sophomore Gabby Green and junior Ashley Pitrof scored a combined 14 points in the first quarter, a big chunk of their 24 for the game.
The Pirates slipped to 5-2 but have two winnable league games ahead against Cudahy and Brown Deer before Christmas.
Pius 49, Pewaukee 36
- Gymnastics: Gymnasts break through glass ceiling to reach state meet
- Boys hockey: Lasers hockey team runs into wall at sectional final
- Boys basketball: Pewaukee boys finish second in Woodland West
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead girls end Kettle Moraine season
- Girls basketball: Lake Country Lutheran falls, season ends
- Wrestling: Pewaukee wrestling, new to Division 1, emerges from state with four medals
- Wrestling: Arrowhead's Yde third at state wrestling
- Boys basketball: Kettle Moraine rallies past Warhawks for second place
- Girls basketball: Late 8-0 run lifts Arrowhead girls past Germantown
- Girls basketball: ULS girls dominate in tournament opener, hold Salam scoreless for three quarters