Speed grounds Rockets, PHS moves to 4-1
South Milwaukee's girls basketball team came into the year blessed with size and a boatload of talented returnees. So Pewaukee used its speed to pull out an eyebrow-raising victory Friday.
The Pirates delivered a 64-49 victory, overcoming an early push from the Rockets.
"They jumped out to a 10-2 lead, and I was thinking, 'uh oh,'" Hansen said. "And then we played by far our best game of the year the rest of the way. I was ecstatic with how we played. Our press was very effective, and we had five girls with at least eight points, so I was very happy. It was a great effort, especially coming off a game where we didn't play very well."
He was referring to Pewaukee's loss to New Berlin Eisenhower last Tuesday, but it was a new day as the young PHS squad moved to 4-1. The youngest of all, freshman Abby Gerrits, led the way with 19 points and eight rebounds.
Hannah Jasinski also added eight points and eight rebounds, and Sarah Caccese finished with eight points and five boards.
"I thought Jasinski, (Emma) Jansen and Caccese, they guarded the three big kids inside, and they were phenomenal the whole game," Hansen said. "They were giving up 5, 6, 7 inches and they played great on defense.
"We have to rely on our speed and athleticism. In the first three games, the press was very effective, and then against Eisenhower, it wasn't. We have to press and want it to be an up and down game. (Against the Rockets), we were able to do that."
Pewaukee 64, South Milwaukee 49
SM top scorer: Emily Pusheck 15
- State of Play: When it comes to celebrating participation, James Harrison has it wrong
- Golf Scores 09/03/15
- Land O’Lakes: Muskies alive for third LOL title
- Boys cross country: Four return for KM boys
- Cross country: Pewaukee's Robert Wagner has emerged as one of state's best runners
- Football: St. John's Northwestern Military Academy rebounds in a big way
- Land O’Lakes: Muskies win playoff opener
- Girls volleyball: Pewaukee volleyball takes second at invite
- Boys soccer: Kettle Moraine wins one, drops another in Verona tournament
- Boys soccer: Lake Country Lutheran forces tie in second game of year