Speed grounds Rockets, PHS moves to 4-1
South Milwaukee's girls basketball team came into the year blessed with size and a boatload of talented returnees. So Pewaukee used its speed to pull out an eyebrow-raising victory Friday.
The Pirates delivered a 64-49 victory, overcoming an early push from the Rockets.
"They jumped out to a 10-2 lead, and I was thinking, 'uh oh,'" Hansen said. "And then we played by far our best game of the year the rest of the way. I was ecstatic with how we played. Our press was very effective, and we had five girls with at least eight points, so I was very happy. It was a great effort, especially coming off a game where we didn't play very well."
He was referring to Pewaukee's loss to New Berlin Eisenhower last Tuesday, but it was a new day as the young PHS squad moved to 4-1. The youngest of all, freshman Abby Gerrits, led the way with 19 points and eight rebounds.
Hannah Jasinski also added eight points and eight rebounds, and Sarah Caccese finished with eight points and five boards.
"I thought Jasinski, (Emma) Jansen and Caccese, they guarded the three big kids inside, and they were phenomenal the whole game," Hansen said. "They were giving up 5, 6, 7 inches and they played great on defense.
"We have to rely on our speed and athleticism. In the first three games, the press was very effective, and then against Eisenhower, it wasn't. We have to press and want it to be an up and down game. (Against the Rockets), we were able to do that."
Pewaukee 64, South Milwaukee 49
SM top scorer: Emily Pusheck 15
- Baseball: Kettle Moraine succumbs to big bats of Waukesha West
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 07/01/15
- Baseball: Pewaukee breaks out of hiding
- Polo team gets upset win
- Land O’Lakes: North Lake stuns Lannon
- Golf: Former Arrowhead golfer Driscoll second at Fischer Amateur in Janesville
- Land O’Lakes: LOL batters chasing Rohlinger, Roberts
- Land O’Lakes: Monches snags the Muskies
- Boys tennis: Roecker named Coach of the Year