Tarnow's 20 kills lead AHS to sectional final
Arrowhead wins over Fond du Lac in four sets
For the first time since 2007, the Arrowhead boys volleyball team will play in a sectional final, competing Thursday with a berth in the state meet on the line.
The second-seeded Warhawks knocked off third-seeded Fond du Lac on Tuesday, 26-28, 25-17, 26-24, 25-16.
"Fondy has a bunch of great players; their setter was fantastic tonight," first-year coach Shane Reid said. "Ultimately, we were able to frustrate them with our serves and get them out of what they wanted to do."
Arrowhead will host Germantown on Thursday. The other Warhawks reached the state semifinals last year and knocked Arrowhead out of the playoffs at the sectional semifinal level. Earlier this season, Arrowhead took Germantown to the full three sets before falling as part of the Arrowhead Invite.
"They're a great team, so it's going to be a lot of fun for us, and I think the guys are up to the challenge," Reid said.
Against Fond du Lac, the Warhawks needed extra points to win a critical third set.
"They went up a couple points mid-set, taking us out of our system and had some tough servers that were frustrating our passers," Reid said. "We led, 21-19, and they made a couple blocks to tie it at 21-all. It was back and forth, with two teams slugging it out, and we ended up coming out on top on a nice scramble play."
Reid said the team looked to junior outside Eric Tarnow for the big attacks, on his way to a team-best 20 kills, and libero Chad St. Martin finished with 20 digs. Andrew Patek posted six aces, Jake Barry finished with 35 assists and Kevin LeRoy added five blocks.
- Softball: Lake Country Lutheran wins doubleheader
- Baseball: Lake Country Lutheran baseball loses cloase call to powerful Division 2 team
- Boys soccer: Arrowhead girls soccer stays undefeated with three straight wins
- Girls soccer: Pewaukee girls soccer rolls past Cudahy
- Girls soccer: Lake Country Lutheran girls soccer on a roll after four straight wins
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 05/03/16
- Track and field: Arrowhead teams grab top-three finishes at Northstar Invite
- Boys tennis: Arrowhead netters go 1-2 at Neenah
- Girls soccer: Kettle Moraine girls soccer wins tight contest over Oconomowoc
- Track and field: Kettle Moraine girls victorious in Northstar Invite