Volk to appear in Orange Bowl
One of the great stories of the college bowl season includes a former Arrowhead football player. Jared Volk and his Northern Illinois teammates will suit up in the Orange Bowl against Florida State on New Year's Day.
Volk, the team's starting left guard, helped the Huskies with the MAC championship for the second consecutive year. They became the first MAC team to receive a BCS bid in the 14 years of the BCS system and closed the year ranked No. 15.
Northern Illinois needed to be ranked No. 16 or higher to grab the BCS bid.
The Huskies are 21-1 since Oct. 2, 2011 - the best mark in FBS football during that stretch. Quarterback Jordan Lynch leads the nation with 1,771 yards rushing and 4,733 total yards. Lynch happens to be Volk's roommate, and the two were pictured along with starting left tackle Ryan Brown in the Chicago Tribune after the BCS announcements were handed down.
The Huskies, coached this year by former Wisconsin defensive coordinator Dave Doeren (who recently accepted a head job at North Carolina State), won the MAC championship game in double overtime against Kent State, 44-37. The teams traded field goals in the first overtime, and Lynch scored from two yards out to open the second, with a block from Volk helping to lead the way.
Lynch became the NCAA single-season leader for rushing yards by a quarterback. When Demetrius Stone ended the game by picking off a Kent State pass on the ensuing possession, Northern Illinois had made history.
The Orange Bowl, held in Miami, Fla., will be played immediately following Wisconsin's tilt with Stanford in the Rose Bowl, with a 7:30 p.m. kickoff locally on ESPN.
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Girls swimming: Adamski, Barta anchor Arrowhead swim team
- Girls volleyball: Pewaukee volleyball team falls in regional
- Basketball: Post-grad program at SJNMA gears up for another season
- Girls tennis: Arrowhead tennis looking for one more accomplishment
- Charlie's Choices 10/23/14
- Football: New dawn for Lake Country Lutheran football
- Girls tennis: Pewaukee tennis made strides
- Football: It's showtime for area football teams
- Girls tennis: Kolbow second at state tennis meet