Volk to appear in Orange Bowl
One of the great stories of the college bowl season includes a former Arrowhead football player. Jared Volk and his Northern Illinois teammates will suit up in the Orange Bowl against Florida State on New Year's Day.
Volk, the team's starting left guard, helped the Huskies with the MAC championship for the second consecutive year. They became the first MAC team to receive a BCS bid in the 14 years of the BCS system and closed the year ranked No. 15.
Northern Illinois needed to be ranked No. 16 or higher to grab the BCS bid.
The Huskies are 21-1 since Oct. 2, 2011 - the best mark in FBS football during that stretch. Quarterback Jordan Lynch leads the nation with 1,771 yards rushing and 4,733 total yards. Lynch happens to be Volk's roommate, and the two were pictured along with starting left tackle Ryan Brown in the Chicago Tribune after the BCS announcements were handed down.
The Huskies, coached this year by former Wisconsin defensive coordinator Dave Doeren (who recently accepted a head job at North Carolina State), won the MAC championship game in double overtime against Kent State, 44-37. The teams traded field goals in the first overtime, and Lynch scored from two yards out to open the second, with a block from Volk helping to lead the way.
Lynch became the NCAA single-season leader for rushing yards by a quarterback. When Demetrius Stone ended the game by picking off a Kent State pass on the ensuing possession, Northern Illinois had made history.
The Orange Bowl, held in Miami, Fla., will be played immediately following Wisconsin's tilt with Stanford in the Rose Bowl, with a 7:30 p.m. kickoff locally on ESPN.
- Polo team gets upset win
- Land O’Lakes: North Lake stuns Lannon
- Golf: Former Arrowhead golfer Driscoll second at Fischer Amateur in Janesville
- Land O’Lakes: LOL batters chasing Rohlinger, Roberts
- Land O’Lakes: Monches snags the Muskies
- Boys tennis: Roecker named Coach of the Year
- Baseball: Pitches coming together for Strelka
- Basketball: Local coaches saw plenty of Tokoto, Looney — with success
- Softball: Lightning get four on first-team All Conference
- Lake Country Sports Shorts 06/30/15