Watt, Pewaukee relays reach state
It's on to the WIAA Division 2 state high school track meet for senior T.J. Watt and three Pewaukee High School boys relay teams.
Competing in the Whitewater sectional last Thursday, Watt won both the shot put and discus to earn berths at this week's state meet at Memorial Stadium at UW-La Crosse. Competition will take place on Friday and Saturday.
The Pewaukee girls team did not qualify any entries for the state meet. Top-four finishers in each event in Division 2 and 3 earn state berths.
Watt won the shot put with a personal-best toss of 60 feet, 2 inches. He won that event by eight feet. He then won the discus with a throw of 156-0, also eight feet better than second place.
The 800 team of Collin Hodson, Parker Sefcik, Joe Henderson and Dominik Johnson finished second with a time of 1:31.45. In the 1,600, the combination of Hodson, Sefcik, Johnson and Alex Zabel placed second with a time of 3:24.36.
Pewaukee earned its final state berth in the 3,200 relay with a time of 8:19.12. Running on that team were Ethan Brownell, Nick Roberts, Robert Wagner and Zabel.
"The boys had a very good day in a tough meet," said Pewaukee coach John Kashian. "T.J. Watt had another big day and he should do very well at the state meet. I think our relay teams could do well. They've been getting better and better all season long."
- Boys hockey: Arrowhead hockey team wins in Janesville
- Sports Scene: Talking sports with some of my friends
- Boys basketball: Lake Country Lutheran's defense holds strong in win
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead girls defeat Catholic Memorial
- Girls basketball: Pewaukee girls roll against Wauwatosa West
- Boys basketball: Pewaukee boys earn narrow win
- Boys basketball: Big second half sparks Arrowhead boys
- Girls basketball: Kettle Moraine girls tied for first place
- Boys basketball: Lasers just miss scoring upset over Muskego
- Girls hockey: Arrowhead co-op girls hockey team wins twice