Cardinals too strong in second half
Mukwonago played an exciting first half to take a 14-8 lead at halftime against Madison-area stronghold Middleton, but the Cardinals had an answer in the second half and defeated the Indians in the first round of the WIAA Division 1 playoffs, 36-14.
MHS finished the season 5-5 after the road loss.
"We played very well in the first half, and they had a hard time figuring out how to stop us," said Mukwonago coach Bill Schulte. "I stopped us by running a play-action pass (that was intercepted), which was not the best call in the world for me to make. We had three minutes left in the half, and it stifled a drive for us. Maybe it could have put us up 17-8 or 21-8 the way we were running the ball."
Middleton grabbed the 8-0 lead, but two touchdowns by MHS senior quarterback Derek Hasanoglu led to a halftime lead. Hasanoglu later left the game with a mild concussion, and a fumble on one of the first drives of the second half gave Middleton an edge.
"In the second half, it just seemed like we got the rug pulled out from under our feet a little bit," Schulte said. "They came out and did some nice things to us. Their tailback (Jaime Hofer) and No. 7 (Luke Meeteer) came in, and when we didnt have an aswer for him on the bubble screen. We played hard and did what we wanted to do in the first half, but I thought we would come out and finish them off, and it didn't work out.
"On paper, we didn't match up, but we still believed we could beat them."
The Cardinals moved on to face Hartford in the second round Saturday.
- Girls basketball: Turnovers, second-quarter struggle hurt Mukwonago as Waukesha West advances
- Boys basketball: Cold shooting stops Mukwonago boys basketball team against Arrowhead
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3
- Football: Poll: Who will win Level 3 game: Mukwonago or Arrowhead?
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 2
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8