Huge rally saves Mukwonago in victory over Brookfield Central
Riding a five-run, two-out rally in the sixth and capping the day with a walk-off base hit from Austin Bricco, the Mukwonago baseball team rallied back from the brink to stun Brookfield Central in the opening round of the WIAA summer baseball playoffs Tuesday, 7-6.
Senior captain Jake Scheibe led off the seventh with a double, Chris Schiferl sacrificed Scheibe over and reached first base on an error, and Bricco's shot down the right field line sent the Indians home happy.
"It was one of the most exciting games I've been a part of in a while," Mukwonago coach John Strohbusch said.
Mukwonago was on pace to suffer a rough loss, allowing six runs on just two hits. The Lancers plated four unearned runs in the second, and though Indians starter J.J. Crawford finished the frame with four strikeouts (and one reaching on a wild pitch), walks and a key error put Central in command.
"Even though his line is not great, (Crawford) is the guy that really kept us in the ballgame," Strohbusch said. "Things really could have gotten ugly in that first inning. He's not really a strikeout pitcher, he's more of a finesse guy ... we held one of the best hitting teams in the area to two hits. Unfortunately with some bad defense, we got behind the eight ball early on."
But the Indians atoned with a two-out rally in the sixth. Devan Ott's two-run double to right center was the centerpiece of the five-run outburst and tied the score heading into the seventh.
Reliever Dan Timmers worked into immediate trouble, loading the bases with nobody out and without the benefit of a hit. But Timmers worked out of the jam and allowed the Indians to win the game in the bottom half.
"It was a circus, but we got out of it," Strohbusch said. "Dan Timmers is a competitor, and that's what it comes down to."
Elijah Goodman hit a home run and scored twice for Central. He also worked six innings on the hill.
The Indians (13-16) will face Milwaukee Pius (21-10) at Wisconsin Lutheran at 5 p.m. Friday in the regional final.
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3
- Football: Poll: Who will win Level 3 game: Mukwonago or Arrowhead?
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 2
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26