Indians second at own invite
The Mukwonago boys cross country team didn't have the firepower to top Oconomowoc at the Mukwonago Invite on Sept. 27, but the Indians had enough to hold off conference foe Kettle Moraine and take second place in the nine-team event.
"I can finally say something positive about how well we ran as a team instead of sounding like I'm making excuses," coach Mike Furlong said. "Our last two meets were disasters, but the quality we've seen throughout the season in workouts during practice has only improved, and this week, we ran fantastically. We're not 100 percent healthy, but we're getting there."
Running in his second race of the year, senior Matt Cyra crossed in 16:36, good for fifth place, and Austin Crisp took 10th in 16:56 as Mukwonago racked up 67 points. Crisp finished eight-tenths of a second ahead of KM senior Evan Runzheimer, an edge that paid off when Kettle Moraine finished just 2 points behind the Indians.
Josh Green (14th, 17:00), Sam Boyle (15th, 17:01), Brett Bogdanski (23rd, 17:30), Andrew Lascelle (42nd, 18:23) and Tom Hazenfield (44th, 18:32) completed the varsity lineup.
"Some of our varsity runners went down in the first 300 meters at Janesville," Furlong said, referring to the previous week's Midwest Invitational, a 39-school showcase. "We were consequently at the back of the pack after the first 800 meters, but today, nothing went wrong and we had a great meet, beating teams who had been beating us all year."
KM defeated Mukwonago by 150 points at Parkside two weeks earlier.
In the junior varsity race, Mukwonago placed third, led by Hunter Willis (18:50), Colin Milligin (18:59) and Andrew Williams (18:59).
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Football: Mukwonago ends AHS win streak
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Mukwonago welcomes seven new Hall of Famers
- Girls volleyball: Spikers affirm top-tier status, down Arrowhead