The Hamilton track and field teams hosted a WIAA Division 1 sectional May 23, perhaps the best gathering of talent in the state. The boys ended up placing ninth with 38 points and the girls were 13th with 19 points.
More importantly, the Chargers advanced four boys entrants to the WIAA Division 1 state meet, beginning Friday, with top-three finishers in each event gaining automatic entry. The girls also advanced 800 Ashlyn Paulson to the showcase in LaCrosse.
Oconomowoc won the boys portion of the meet with 102 points and Arrowhead was the top girls team with 137 points.
Chais Blackburn was second in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 39.57. Joel Fotsch was second in the 110 hurdles at 15.19.
Tony Koepnick was third in the discus for the Chargers at 146 feet, 10 inches. He ended up in fourth place in the shot put at 49-6 1/2, just missing the final qualifying slot.
Drew Patterson placed third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.06. He was also a member of the 4x400-meter relay team that took fourth with a time of 3:23.27. Blackburn, Josh Desorcy and Brett Buehler were the other athletes on board.
Though the relay took fourth, its time was among the eight fastest at all sectionals combined, earning a special qualifier. Hamilton's run happens to be the seventh-fastest in the field at state.
Ashlyn Paulson took third place in the 800 at 2:26.03 on the girls side, netting the lone state-qualifying mark.
Casey Allen, Toney Lock, Nicole Zeman and Claire Birk raced fifth in the 4x100 relay with a time of 51.51.
- Boys soccer: Strong competition pushes Hamilton, but Chargers tie Whitefish Bay
- Preps Alcove: Is there a scenario where Hamilton gets in the playoffs regardless of Friday's result?
- Girls tennis: Hamilton tennis program honors athletes
- Templeton eighth-grade football team wins a close one
- Girls volleyball: Hamilton spikers collect key wins at tournament
- Cross country: Hamilton runners hope for high finishes at conference meet
- Football: Hamilton win sets up tough test against Brookfield East
- Templeton runners have successful week
- Girls tennis: Hamilton tennis season ends, but next year brings excitement
- Boys soccer: Hamilton kickers win sixth straight