The Hamilton varsity boys tennis team competed in the WIAA Division 1 sectional, held in Oconomowoc on May 29.
Steve Smith topped Dan Jin from Middleton, 6-2, 7-6 (2), and placed second in the No. 3 singles flight. He ultimately fell to Mitch Pralle of Arrowhead.
With a state tournament bid at stake, Tony Moore ran into one of the state's top players, Jake Van Emburgh of Middleton. Moore fell, 6-1, 6-1, but that didn't tell the true story, coach Alan Schneider said.
"Moore played his match tough and aggressive, with many long points," Schneider said. "But the score doesn't reflect this."
Van Emburgh is seeded No. 2 at state this weekend. Automatic state berths went to No. 1 flights that won a match at sectional, or first-place finishers at No. 2 flights. No Hamilton players were given berths.
Moore qualified for the sectional by defeating a West Bend West player, 6-3, 6-1, at the subsectional, where Hamilton had its best-ever showing to take third.
Coonor Davidson upset a higher-seeded player from Hartford at No. 2 singles, 6-0, 6-7 (7), 6-2, before falling in his second match. Smith knocked off a No. 2 and No. 3 seed, earning the trip to sectionals.
"Overall, this was the strongest showing at sectionals," Schneider said. "Tony and Steve played highly competitive matches against strong state qualifying players. The bar is set for next year, as almost all of the varsity squad will return."
Schneider said one key loss will be Michael Banda, who graduates this month. Banda played No. 4 singles for the Chargers.
- Sussex Sun Sports Shorts 02/25/15
- Boys basketball: Hamilton avoids second collapse against West Allis Central, moves above .500 in boys basketball
- Boys basketball: Third-quarter buzzer beater gives Hamilton lift over Hale
- Wrestling: State streak continues for Hamilton wrestling program
- Girls basketball: Second-half swoons not enough to keep Hamilton girls from victories
- Boys hockey: Ice Bears close regular season with tie
- Boys swimming: Indians swim season comes to a close
- Sussex Sports Shorts 02/18/15
- Girls basketball: Brookfield East pulls away from Chargers in fourth
- Wrestling: Merkel, Rybka take the spotlight at wrestling regional