The Hamilton varsity boys tennis team competed in the WIAA Division 1 sectional, held in Oconomowoc on May 29.
Steve Smith topped Dan Jin from Middleton, 6-2, 7-6 (2), and placed second in the No. 3 singles flight. He ultimately fell to Mitch Pralle of Arrowhead.
With a state tournament bid at stake, Tony Moore ran into one of the state's top players, Jake Van Emburgh of Middleton. Moore fell, 6-1, 6-1, but that didn't tell the true story, coach Alan Schneider said.
"Moore played his match tough and aggressive, with many long points," Schneider said. "But the score doesn't reflect this."
Van Emburgh is seeded No. 2 at state this weekend. Automatic state berths went to No. 1 flights that won a match at sectional, or first-place finishers at No. 2 flights. No Hamilton players were given berths.
Moore qualified for the sectional by defeating a West Bend West player, 6-3, 6-1, at the subsectional, where Hamilton had its best-ever showing to take third.
Coonor Davidson upset a higher-seeded player from Hartford at No. 2 singles, 6-0, 6-7 (7), 6-2, before falling in his second match. Smith knocked off a No. 2 and No. 3 seed, earning the trip to sectionals.
"Overall, this was the strongest showing at sectionals," Schneider said. "Tony and Steve played highly competitive matches against strong state qualifying players. The bar is set for next year, as almost all of the varsity squad will return."
Schneider said one key loss will be Michael Banda, who graduates this month. Banda played No. 4 singles for the Chargers.
- Boys golf: Krystowiak leads Chargers at Westmoor
- Girls soccer: Sussex Hamilton kickers keep on winning
- Land O’Lakes: Sussex drops LOL opener
- Track and field: Sussex Hamilton track and field teams place third in Badger
- Softball: Sussex Hamilton softball breaks losing streak
- Boys tennis: Sussex Hamilton boys tennis adapts and shows depth
- Realignment: Starting in 2017-18, Greater Metro Conference will have a new look
- Sussex Sports Shorts 04/27/16
- Track and field: Sussex Hamilton track and field gets plenty of wins at invites
- Boys golf: Sussex Hamilton golf competes at Waukesha County tournament