HHS girls top Watertown by 50 points
Hamilton's girls basketball team started with a 26-4 edge after one quarter and never looked back, routing perennially strong Watertown on Thursday, 74-24. Twelve players found the scoring column as Hamilton improved to 3-0.
"We started with ourpressure defense; everything on our team starts with our defense," coach Dan Carey said. "We pressured every pass, every dribble, every shot. I liked their composure. You never know in the home opener; there's lots of excitement, especially for young players. To borrow a baseball analogy, we want to hit singles, we're not trying to hit home runs every possession."
There were a lot of singles, and even more rebounds, a category in which Hamilton held a resounding 46-15 advantage.
"That's an effort stat," Carey said. "No matter who you're playing, no matter the situation, if you can outrebound a team by that much, it shows you're playing hard."
Hamilton also led the steals category, 22-3. Mackenzie Latt finished with 14 points, pacing three players in double figures. Jenny Shernell added 13, and the team's two reserve posts, Tristen Hayes and Sarah Thompson, combined for 13 points.
"I was really impressed with Tristen; she was composed, keeping it simple," Carey said. "You always know what you're going to get with her defensively, but I was really impressed with her offense. Sarah played with a lot of composure, too, and she went 3 for 4 at the free-throw line, and Tristen went 2 for 2."
- Boys basketball: Miscues cost Hamilton in battle of undefeateds
- Sports Shorts 12/17/14
- Girls basketball: Hagenow's game winner lifts Hamilton girls
- Wrestling: Hernandez, Biswell help Chargers thrive at tourney
- Boys basketball: Hamilton boys up to challenge against Lancers
- Boys basketball: Hamilton boys adjust rotation, down Slinger
- College football: Hawk Talk: Locals with UWW on to semifinals
- Boys hockey: Ice Bears fall to Arrowhead, Fox Cities
- Boys basketball: Chargers run down Badger in double overtime
- Girls basketball: Chargers turn it around against Tremper, Milton girls