Six Hamilton wrestlers advance
Nick Knoebel's 5-3 win over Oconomowoc standout Logan Ballering in overtime led to a regional wrestling title and highlighted Hamilton's showing in its home gym Saturday.
The Chargers sent six grapplers through to Saturday's sectional at Oconomowoc, advancing by virtue of a top-four finish in the regional.
Others in the mix were Brett Neverman, who took second place at 113, Hunter Lau (third at 120), Jake Macaluso (third at 220), Brad Biswell (third at heavyweight) and Vince Pascale (fourth at 106).
Wrestling at 152, Knoebel (33-3), won by a 3-1 decision over Tucker Hammer of Cedarburg and then topped Ballering (33-5) in extra wrestling.
"It was the best match of the tournament in my opinion," Hamilton coach Doug Pulvermacher said. "It will be another excellent match this weekend."
Top two finishers at the sectional advance to the state meet. Ballering made the trip as a freshman before missing his sophomore year last year with injury. Knoebel qualified for state as a junior last winter.
Pulvermacher was pleased with the sectional qualifying haul, especially considering the youth of his team.
"I always want more, but the kids wrestled tough," Pulvermacher said. "John Abel finished his four-year career after losing the fourth-place match. John has done a great job for us the past four years, and his season was highlighted with his third-place conference finish last week."
Abel fell by decision at 160 in the final match, 5-1. Sophomore Ryan Hernandez also just missed at 145, taking fifth.
Saturday also marked the end of the season for juniors Ethan Beaudry, Gino Senymanola, Frank Boyle and freshman Ben Sciortino.
Neverman (29-13) won a second-place match after falling to Menomonee Falls' Jerott Holz (29-13) in the first place match, 8-0. Lau (17-6) also reached the first-place match against Bill Holz (39-4), then dropped a second-place match.
- Boys basketball: Hamilton eases past Messmer to open basketball season
- College football: The party continues for WIAC football teams
- Girls soccer: Two Hamilton kickers named to All-State team
- Girls basketball: Defensive switch helps Hamilton get first win
- Boys basketball: Sussex Hamilton boys return with athletic roster
- Women’s soccer: Former Sussex Hamilton soccer stars find success in college
- Girls basketball: Top three scorers back for Sussex Hamilton girls basketball team
- Football: Hamilton football well-represented on All-Conference teams
- Girls swimming: Co-op swimmers go fast, just not fast enough for state
- Girls volleyball: Sussex Hamilton's Dowler named to second team in girls volleyball