Team effort successful for Hamilton boys
Chargers get best of difficult nonconference foe
Two early fouls on Hamilton senior point guard Mark Gryszkiewicz didn't stop the Chargers from winning a challenging road assignment on Thursday at Waukesha Catholic Memorial.
The Chargers remained unbeaten with a 65-58 nonconference victory against the Crusaders, one of the favored teams in the Classic 8 Conference this season.
"Mark's been playing a lot of minutes, running the team and he was out for a while in foul trouble, but came back in and made some clutch free throws," Hamilton head boys basketball coach Andy Cerroni said.
Others stepped in to play contributor roles, including junior Brady Ellingson, the team's reserve point guard, senior Tony Gumina, senior Aaron Konop and junior Brett Buehler.
Gumina scored 18 points and pulled in five rebounds in what Cerroni called an excellent all-around game for the team's inside presence. Ellingson handled the ball a great deal, grabbed six rebounds and still found time to score 23 points.
Buehler did a "wonderful job" off the bench, according to Cerroni, logging 18 minutes for the winners, and Konop was another player near the basket showing force defensively.
"This was a really good game against a really good team," Cerroni said. "They were 7 for 8 on threes in the first half. At that point we felt pretty good only being down by four points (37-33)."
Gryszkiewicz scored seven points and handed out three assists for Hamilton (4-0).
Ty Saben scored 21 points for the Crusaders.
"A lot of guys contributed," Cerroni said. "I think in the end we kind of wore them down."
On Dec. 7, the Chargers begin Greater Metro Conference play at home against defending league champion West Allis Central.
Hamilton 65, Catholic Memorial 58
- Sports Shorts 12/24/14
- Boys basketball: HHS suffers late-game setbacks against Marquette
- Girls basketball: Hamilton girls struggle through illnesses
- Boys basketball: Miscues cost Hamilton in battle of undefeateds
- Sports Shorts 12/17/14
- Girls basketball: Hagenow's game winner lifts Hamilton girls
- Wrestling: Hernandez, Biswell help Chargers thrive at tourney
- Boys basketball: Hamilton boys up to challenge against Lancers
- Boys basketball: Hamilton boys adjust rotation, down Slinger
- College football: Locals on to semifinals