LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

 

A spark during electrical work started a house fire in the town of Ottawa on Thursday, May 18.

Electrical contractors working at the residence a the time reported the fire at about 9:06 p.m., according to a news release from the Western Lakes Fire District. The contractors reported they were completing electrical work when a spark ignited flammable liquids in the area, the release said.

When firefighters arrived at 9:17 p.m., they could see smoke and flames coming from the garage of the exposed lower level. Crews were able to quickly find the source of the fire on the lower level. Additional crews were deployed to attack fire that extended to the second level. 

The two contractors at the residence were evaluated for smoke inhalation and possible burns, but did not require hospitalization. No firefighters were injured during the incident.

Assisting the Western Lakes department were the Wales-Genesee Fire Department, North Prairie Fire Department, Eagle Fire Department and Western Waukesha RIC team from the town of Delafield, Lake Country Fire and Rescue and Stone Bank. 

The town of Delafield and Mukwonago Fire Department were on standby to handle any other incidents that came in. 

Fire crews remained at the scene until about 12:37 a.m. The incident remains under investigation by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department. 

 

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.lakecountrynow.com/story/news/local/lake-country-reporter/2017/05/19/contractors-spark-ignites-ottawa-house-fire/332097001/