Someone once said, “The excitement of learning separates youth from old age. As long as you’re learning, you’re not old.” In that spirit, Learning in Retirement (LIR) — sponsored by Waukesha County Technical College — provides intellectual, cultural and social opportunities to foster lifelong learning for retired and soon-to-be retired adults.
The LIR 2017 Fall Course Catalog is now available and features numerous events, special interest groups and courses on a variety of topics, including art, cooking, finance, history, writing, computers and more. New programs include Hubble Space Telescope: a Brief History, Introduction to the Harmonica and Living Your Best Life.
The cost of membership from Sept. 1, 2017, through Aug. 31, 2018, is $50 (non-refundable). Registration is by mail only, and priority registration ends Aug. 3 for best course selection, but registrations are accepted at all times. Classes begin Sept. 11.
A free, fall LIR kickoff meeting is planned for9":30 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 26, in the Richard T. Anderson Education Center at WCTC’s Pewaukee campus. (Doors open at 9 a.m.) The event is designed to familiarize members and non-members with the LIR organization and the year’s upcoming events.
LIR courses are held at the WCTC Waukesha campus, WCTC Pewaukee campus or other nearby facilities, all of which provide a relaxed, yet professional, learning atmosphere. Courses meet during the day, and members receive course offering booklets during the year outlining fall and spring programming.
- Short-term, non-credit courses from one to six weeks in length. Most courses are $10, unless otherwise noted.
- Daylong and overnight chartered trips to museums, art exhibits, theater performances and other special events scheduled throughout the year.
- Specialty speaker presentations.
- Participation in special interest groups.
- Opportunities to make new friends and explore new interests.
- Access to WCTC facilities including the College’s library, computer lab, Style & Class Salon, automotive shop and dental hygiene clinic.
For more information about LIR, visit www.wctc.edu/lir, call 262-695-3473, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop in to the LIR office, at WCTC’s downtown Waukesha campus, 327 E. Broadway. The office is in Room 101-G. Office hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays; the office is closed Fridays.