A dust explosion at the Insight FS co-op grain mill at W1255 Marietta Ave. in Ixonia has sent one person to the hospital.
An employee was in the mill this morning setting up to open and must have realized something was wrong, according to Jeffery Parker of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department. The man was attempting to leave the building when there was an explosion. He was taken to Aurora Hospital in Oconomowoc, Parker said.
Police and firefighters were dispatched to the business at 7:22 a.m., according to Ixonia Fire Chief David Schilling. When firefighters arrived, nothing was on fire, and they discovered an employee suffering minor scrapes, bruises and burns on the front of his body. An Ixonia Fire Department ambulance crew transported the victim to Aurora Hospital.
Schilling said the explosion is still under investigation. A small ignition source, such as a malfunctioning piece of equipment, can cause a quick explosion in a particle-rich environment like a grain mill, he said.
The building is still standing, but has internal damage from the explosion, Parker said.
According to Schilling, fire departments from the following municipalities also responded to the scene: the town of Watertown, village of Sullivan, town of Lebanon, city of Oconomowoc, town of Ashippun, unincorporated Stone Bank, village of Dousman, village of Johnson Creek, unincorporated Helenville, town of Beaver Dam and the Western Waukesha Rapid Intervention Crew.